posted in Stuff

Recipe Bucket List –

I’ve wanted to make a bucket list for a while… you know what a bucket list is, right?  A list of things that you totally want to do sometime before you die?  I don’t have a personal bucket list for myself because I just take life as it comes and enjoy every opportunity that it gives me.  But for recipes- I need a list!  There are zillions of recipes out there, I want to try anything and (most) everything), so here’s my bucket list of recipes I want to make sometime in the next 50 or so years!  I’ll be sharing them on my site as I make them and crossing them off the ‘ol list as they are tried and true.  And oh… if you have any “bucket list” recipes that you’d like me to make- please share in the comments.  And if you happen to have a wonderful family favorite recipe for anything that is mentioned below, please email it to me at foodie {at} recipegirl {dot} com and I’ll do my best to make your recipe and share it here on RecipeGirl!

My Recipe Bucket List:

• Lemon Cheesecake
  • Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake

• Lemon Meringue Pie
  • Key Lime Pie
  • Blackberry Pie
  • Coconut Cream Pie
  • Chocolate Silk/Cream Pie >Recipe here!
  • Pecan Pie

• Dill Pickles
  • Pickled Beets
  • Sauerkraut
  • Homemade Eggnog
  • Homemade Juicing
  • Preserved Lemons

Special thanks to Michelle at Brown Eyed Baker, who has a Bucket List of her own and inspired me to make one too!

75 Responses to “Recipe Bucket List –”

1. postedJan 2, 2013 7:34 AM

Great list! I have made some of them and a lot of the remaining ones are on my list as well!

2. postedJan 2, 2013 7:36 AM

I love this idea – I have a pinterst board titled “my cooking bucket list”. Spanikopita and Moussaka are on mine too.

3. postedJan 2, 2013 7:36 AM

Everybody needs a bucket list.
    Lots of great things on yours!

4. postedJan 2, 2013 7:38 AM

Holy, the recipe collection looks fantastic. I do have a small bucket list for myself and about food, there are millions of things I want to make. As of now, I am cleaning up my draft section :( looking forward to see things being crossed off

5. postedJan 2, 2013 7:38 AM

Loving this list, I definitely see many I want to make as well… Thanks for sharing!

6. postedJan 2, 2013 7:39 AM

Oh my gosh Lori……what a SUPER idea!!!!!!! I can see these popping up all over the food blogosphere now. LOL!! I love it.

I already have a list here and there, but to combine them….write it all in one place and see tangible effort as you cross them off. SO cool. Thanks again!!

7. postedJan 2, 2013 7:44 AM

That is one heck of a sexy list. Bring on the deliciousness!!

8. postedJan 2, 2013 7:50 AM

Lori, what a fabulous list! I’ve made many of these recipes, but need to make others you listed, LOL! Um…you’re missing Stollen (unless you’ve made it already) under the bread category…a MUST DO holiday bread! xoxo

9. postedJan 2, 2013 7:56 AM

I love your giant bucket list! I make a short list every year of what new things I hope to make/try for the year. I was surprised to see I have made so many of these. I just made challah for the first time on new year’s eve and turned it into French toast for a new year’s brunch. It got rave reviews from my guests.

10. postedJan 2, 2013 7:59 AM

I’m not gonna lie, I had to go through and mentally check off each one that I’d done. Haha! Great list!

11. postedJan 2, 2013 8:01 AM

I made something similar with 101 Peruvian dishes I plan to make this year: – great to have goals!

Challah bread…I have made several recipes of it and this one stands out as the best every time: (sorry about the formatting, it is an old post that hasn’t been fully cleaned up yet!)

Happy New Year!

12. postedJan 2, 2013 8:51 AM
    Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife

The 40 clove chicken is on my list too!! :)

13. postedJan 2, 2013 9:07 AM

Love the idea of making a recipe bucket list.

14. postedJan 2, 2013 10:10 AM

Great idea of making a recipe bucket list! You have so many great dishes on your list I can’t wait to see you share. :)

15. postedJan 2, 2013 10:19 AM

This is a great list! I’ve been meaning to do the same thing, I think it will really motivate me to step outside my comfort zone.

16. postedJan 2, 2013 10:20 AM

PS: I have a great lamb shank recipe if you need one :)

17. postedJan 2, 2013 10:24 AM

PS: I have a great lamb shank recipe if you need one. :)

18. postedJan 2, 2013 10:38 AM

I hope this is a list of all the posts to come on your site :)

19. postedJan 2, 2013 10:39 AM

LOVE this idea!!! I have different lists written all. over. the. place. I really need to sit down and compile them all together! Happy New Year to you and your family! :)

20. postedJan 2, 2013 11:57 AM
    Kara D

What a fun idea!!

21. postedJan 2, 2013 1:07 PM
    Amanda Abernathy

What a great idea. I don’t yet have a food bucket list but there are a few things I’d like to try this year. Can’t wait to see them!

22. postedJan 2, 2013 1:55 PM

I made my list a while ago but didn’t know what to do with things that I had wanted to do since I was a kid and had actually done. (like make donuts). Do I add them to the list and then cross them off, or just leave them off the list entirely? I made the list with them on it and then crossed them off (makes me feel like I’d accomplished more LOL)

23. postedJan 2, 2013 2:10 PM

I love your list! It’s inspiring me to update and add to mine! So many delicious things on there!

24. postedJan 2, 2013 2:26 PM

I’ve got a sourdough starter!

PW has a really good Gazpacho recipe.

I make a fan-tast-ic lemon cheesecake. My recipe is from The New Best Recipe Cookbook (

Joy the Baker has done chuuros. I haven’t made hers myself, but I trust that Joy knows what she’s doing when it comes to baking and frying. :)

25. postedJan 2, 2013 2:30 PM

Lori, I’m staggered there’s so many things left for you to do! I thought you’d cooked everything by now! I spy a few things on there I’ve done already but my bucket list would be WAY longer than this.

26. postedJan 2, 2013 2:35 PM

LOVE this idea. Now I will have to make my own bucket list.

27. postedJan 2, 2013 2:40 PM

LOVE the idea of a recipe bucket list, Lori!

28. postedJan 2, 2013 4:17 PM

Awesome list, Lori! I used to keep a spreadsheet with a list but then I kept adding more to it before I could make any…and then Pinterest became my list. I love the idea of adding it to the blog. Can’t wait to see your posts on these!

29. postedJan 2, 2013 5:19 PM

That is ONE HECK OF A LIST~! I see lots that are on my bucket list too!

30. postedJan 2, 2013 5:21 PM

This is such a fun list! I really should make one of these…

For the bagels, I HIGHLY recommend using Peter Reinhardt’s recipe. It’s the best!

31. postedJan 2, 2013 5:33 PM

BHG (better homes & gardens) has a recipe for Jambalaya thats excellent! It always gets rave reviews :)

32. postedJan 2, 2013 8:27 PM

Wow, Lori! I love your list though I must admit I dived straight to your cakes/pies and other desserts section :) I’m inspired to make mine, too! :)

33. postedJan 3, 2013 1:14 AM

Great bucket list! Can’t wait to see the recipes “come to life,” so to speak 😀

34. postedJan 3, 2013 1:53 AM

Here’s my list – if you find the time to show us how thse are done I’d really appreciate it.

Authentic Flour Tortillas
    Chicken Marsala
    Chicken Shawarma
    Chile Relleno
    Chinese Princess Chicken
    Lamb Rogan Josh
    Lomo Asado (Argentine Grilled Tenderloin)
    Souvlaki Kebabs
    Steak and Kidney Pie

35. postedJan 3, 2013 2:46 AM
    Gail H.

LOVE this idea! I have 2 things on my list so far: mussels & ribs :)

36. postedJan 3, 2013 3:55 AM

What a great idea — a recipe bucket list. I think I’ll have to think about what I’d like to try as well.

37. postedJan 3, 2013 4:12 AM

Great list!!

We have just started makung egg rolls, we’ve had them twice, they are just the best!!!

38. postedJan 3, 2013 4:47 AM

Genius idea, Lori! I am right there with you on the apple fritters. They’ve been on my list for years. Happy New Year!

39. postedJan 3, 2013 5:53 AM
    Debbie C

Great idea! There are lots of things I’d like to make also. If you’re serious about making pecan pie, I have the best recipe ever! (wink) lol

40. postedJan 3, 2013 6:46 AM

Love your bucket list! I can’t wait to see how your creatios come out!

41. postedJan 3, 2013 10:27 AM

Love this idea! I know there are tons of recipes I have said I want to make over the years. Such a great idea to write them down and keep in one place ;).

42. postedJan 3, 2013 11:09 AM

What a great list! I need to come up with a list, I have so many things I want to make, but I have never actually written them down!

43. postedJan 3, 2013 12:42 PM

Love this!! :)

44. postedJan 3, 2013 1:32 PM

I love this, and the idea of making a list to look back on! I always find myself saying “ooh I want to make xyz someday.” But then I forget. I think I might have to make a list of my own!

45. postedJan 3, 2013 2:48 PM

Love, love, love! I have a similar ‘list.’ Alas, it is on small note paper or annotated with sticky flags all over my cookbooks. I also have a slew on emails or favorites. Yikes…I really should do this! Thanks for the inspirations!

46. postedJan 3, 2013 2:53 PM

This is an awesome list. I loved browsing your dessert choices!

47. postedJan 3, 2013 2:59 PM

I totally have a bucket list! In fact, one of my new year’s resolution was to make 12 things from my bucket list this year. =)

48. postedJan 3, 2013 5:23 PM
    Linda | The Urban Mrs

This is so wonderful, Lori. I’ve been wanting to create one and this really helps. Happy New Year to you!

49. postedJan 3, 2013 6:18 PM

my baking bucket list is so long.
    such a popular phrase

50. postedJan 3, 2013 6:25 PM

OK – this is such a smart idea. I’m totally going to have to write down some ideas for things I want to make!

51. postedJan 3, 2013 8:31 PM

This is such a fabulous idea! I have a list in my head – that clearly needs to be put down on paper and these are some fantastic ideas!

52. postedJan 3, 2013 8:38 PM

Homemade popovers are one of the best foods God ever created. With melted butter and homemade jam, oh man. I found 40 clove chicken disappointing. Amazing since I’m someone who once made a meal with all garlic recipes (even desert, I lived in California at the time where there is a yearly garlic festival with all sorts of recipes for garlic).

And I can’t believe you’ve never made tapioca pudding. Again, one of life’s true pleasures (in my opinion, anyway).

Just take one at a time. One a week, perhaps. And soon you’ll have to find another bucket to fill. Good luck.

53. postedJan 4, 2013 7:07 AM

Great list! I would love to get my buckets recipe list on paper.

54. postedJan 4, 2013 11:24 AM

Love this list! There are so many thing on there that I want to make too! Let’s start with Pop Tarts :)

55. postedJan 4, 2013 6:59 PM

It is amazing you can cook so much and realize there are so many fairly common and well known things you haven’t made. But I have you covered with pierogi!

I tackled one bucket list item last week – I’ll bt posting my first gluten free layer cake on Sunday!

56. postedJan 6, 2013 8:37 PM
    Kristy @ Sweet Treats & More

I love this idea! So many things on your list I’ve been wanting to try too! Pop-tarts for one:) And naonimo bars!

57. postedJan 8, 2013 6:04 AM

looking forward to the completed projects – some of these I have mastered; some not so much and others still want to try – good luck, rooting for you

58. postedJan 12, 2013 12:16 PM

I’ve never made Buckeyes (shhh…I live in Ohio!), but I have a PB ball recipe that I’ve been making since I was a tween. It was my aunt’s and it’s much better than any Buckeye I’ve ever had.

59. postedJan 13, 2013 7:00 AM

Great Bucket List and all doable! I’ve made several of the items on your list. To die for Chicken Pot Pie, try Ina Garten’s version! It is a lot of work and time consuming (definitely not a weeknight meal), but the results are so worth the effort. Good luck and great fun on crossing out your list!

60. postedJan 17, 2013 4:55 PM

Geart list! I’ve always wanted to do this too. U and Michelle have inspired me.

61. postedJan 30, 2013 2:23 PM

I love your list! I really need to create one too. It’s such a great idea.

So I saw Nanaimo Bars were on your list. I would like to invite you to try the ones I’ve made. They are the REAL DEAL. Most recipes have you use custard/pudding mix but these are made entirely from scatch and so worth the end result. I encourage you to try them and if you do, please let me know. I’d love to hear what you think of them. :)

Here’s the link:

• January 31st, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

Wow! Well, if you’re okay with me posting your recipe on my site citing you as the source, I’ll give them a try. Let me know!

62. postedJan 31, 2013 12:56 PM

Yes please!! You have my permission to use my name/blog any time you try my recipes. I sincerely appreciate it!

As a matter of fact, you have already tried one of my recipes: my Snickerdoodle Bars. I think you got the recipe via My Baking Addiction but she got it from me. :)

Thank you Leslie!

63. postedFeb 2, 2013 7:32 AM

What a wonderful idea! I think I’ll do this myself! I look forward to seeing you work your way through this list… :)

64. postedFeb 6, 2013 12:03 PM

I have started with my own list……my twist? Picking a recipe from every country and giving them a go…..I am going alphabetically. It has involved a lot of time in the grocery store looking for ingredients and some research for substitutions. But we are loving our ‘cultural’ night :)

• February 6th, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

I love that idea!

65. postedMar 10, 2013 5:28 PM

Wow! That is quite the list!
    I have so many recipes that I want to try and this is a great way to mark them off the list.
    Thanks for the idea!

66. postedMar 16, 2013 4:56 AM
    Jayme G.

Love this idea!!!

67. postedApr 19, 2013 12:16 PM
    sandy pudoff

Don’t even ask me to be your taste tester. Not even if you beg!!! My husband however, will rent himself out by the hour.

68. postedJul 2, 2013 6:38 AM
    Sandy Pudoff

What is the difference between a macaroon and a macaron? I am slightly confused.

69. postedJul 2, 2013 6:51 AM
    Sandy Pudoff

I used my laptop’s dictionary function and it appears that macaron is just the French spelling for the word macaroon. Same recipe, different language. I need to learn patience, as I’ve been impatiently saying for 30 years! I’ve made several of your bucket list items (I’m a medically retired chef) but some I’ve never even heard of. IMHO, the diversity in our country’s food is unmatched anywhere else in the world. Only in America can you eat globally without leaving the country!

70. postedMay 3, 2014 5:00 PM
    Elizabeth A Gruner

Love a bucket list they r so fun

71. postedJul 26, 2014 10:14 AM

What about Apple strudel and schwartzwalder kirsh torte and oh whie Im at it….Sacher torte…I know they are all desserts but oh so good.

72. postedNov 7, 2014 7:31 PM

You should add Panelle to your bucket list. It’s an Italian old world recipe that my mother ALWAYS wanted me to make – but I managed to make it only once. It took a lot of stirring and many strong arms to stir the pot – but it was absolutely so tasty – it disappeared in less time than it took to make it. Tho made with garbanzo bean flour it tasted like flaky whitefish patties with lemon. YUM!

73. postedNov 25, 2014 3:43 PM
    Amanda A

How’s your list coming along? Has there been a follow up to show how far you’ve come?