Bagel Quiche

I’m gifting you a breakfast recipe to try sometime soon- it’s both filling and full of good, healthy, real ingredients:  Bagel Quiche

Bagel Quiche

Here’s something you probably don’t know about me > I worked at a Jewish Elementary School for many years- as a teacher’s aide, as their after-school daycare program director and finally as a substitute teacher.  I ate a lot of challah and a lot of bagels during my years at the school.  We ordered lunch regularly from a local bagel deli, and I often got some awesome bagel creations.  My favorite was a bagel smeared with cream cheese and then melted cheddar cheese on top.  Yeah, that was back in the days where I didn’t have to worry about calories as much!!  There were some great egg-bagel items on the menu too.  But for some reason, I’ve always had this Bagel Quiche idea in my head.  Why not  hollow out a bagel and make a quiche inside of it??  So that’s what I did.  But first… here are some cool facts about eggs that maybe you don’t already know >

Eggs 101

Did you make a “healthy eating” resolution this year?  And are you still on the bandwagon, or have you jumped off already?   My husband and I sat down at the beginning of the year and decided to make a commitment to dumping processed foods for more, real, fresh foods… REAL ice cream, REAL cheese, no more light sour cream or mayonnaise, and REAL, whole, fresh eggs.  The American Egg Board shares that eggs are packed with vitamins/minerals and antioxidants, and they have  a ton of healthy protein- 6 grams per egg (that’s 13% of the recommended daily value)… and nearly half of that protein is found in the yolk.  So it’s beneficial for you to eat the whole egg!  One egg = 70 calories.  Check out their environmental footprint studies > HERE.

Bagel Quiche Recipe 1

On with the featured recipe! > Here’s how you make a Bagel Quiche.  You’ll need these ingredients- half a bagel, 2 or 3 eggs (depending on the size of your bagel) and desired quiche fillings.  I used cheese, mushroom, red bell pepper and broccoli.

Bagel Quiche Recipe 2

First:  Hollow out your quiche.  That may seem strange, but people order their bagels “skinny” all the time at bagel shops around the world.  You get the benefit of eating a fabulous bagel without all of the extra bread.

Bagel Quiche Recipe 3

Whisk your eggs and pour them into your hollowed out bagel.

Bagel Quiche Recipe 4

Sprinkle your fillings inside the egg.  Add another whisked egg on top if your bagel isn’t quite full enough.

Bagel Quiche Recipe - RecipeGirl.com

Bake until the egg is set, and you’ve got yourself a bagel quiche!  I’m glad I finally acted on the “Quiche inside a Bagel” idea in my head.  It’s now one of my new, favorite breakfasts… especially on a day where I want something substantial, but healthy before I hit the slopes.  Enjoy!

Print Print Recipe

Bagel Quiche

Yield: Serves 1

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 20 min

Ingredients:

1 bagel (any flavor that would go well w/ egg)
2 to 3 large eggs
desired fillings (such as cheese and chopped vegetables)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray.

2. Slice the very bottom of the bagel off nice and evenly. Set aside to eat, turn into breadcrumbs or discard.

3. Carefully hollow out the bread inside of the cut bagel using your fingers to pull the bread away from the crust of the bagel (discard or turn into breadcrumbs). Set the bagel, cut-side-up on the foil.

4. Whisk 2 eggs and pour them into the hollowed out bagel. Place desired filling choices into the egg. If the egg and filling does not fill the bagel completely, you can add another whisked egg on top.

5. Wrap the bagel up the sides with the foil, but keep the top open to the heat of the oven. Bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until the egg is completely set. Timing will depend on how many eggs used and how large the bagel is. Serve immediately (pick it up and eat it with your hands!)

Source: RecipeGirl.com

More healthy egg recipes to check out:
Microwave Breakfast Flatbread Pizza
Breakfast Quesadillas
Simple Frittata
Green Chile, Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake
Eggs and Hash Browns Skillet

Disclosure:  This post was written in collaboration with the American Egg Board, who is encouraging consumers to get a fresh start on health by eating real, all natural foods like eggs.  I have a similar vision, so this partnership was a good match for me and my readers.

55 Responses to “Bagel Quiche”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — February 7, 2014 @ 3:22 AM

I love that it’s baked right into the bagel! SO CLEVER! You with the pound cake inside the choc cake and now this. So fun! pinned

marcie — February 7, 2014 @ 6:10 AM

This is such a fun idea, and looks delicious!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — February 7, 2014 @ 6:43 AM

This is SUCH a cool idea, Lori!!! I’m totally going to try it the next time I make quiche! :)

DessertForTwo — February 7, 2014 @ 6:50 AM

This is so genius! I want it every day for breakfast!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — February 7, 2014 @ 7:03 AM

Lori, this idea is brilliant! Definitely saving this recipe for my next brunch with friends–they are going to love the quiches, and I won’t have to fuss with pie crust. Win win situation :)

Jen and Emily @ Layers of Happiness — February 7, 2014 @ 7:36 AM

Omgsh! I love this idea… I’ve tried making baked egg boats in baguettes but the bread is always too tough and crusty, but bagels are perfect! Pinned :)

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 7, 2014 @ 7:57 AM

Oh my goodness, Lori! I love this Bagel Quiche concept. LOVE. IT. My husband will, too. I could eat a bagel every day and live a happy life. (The carbs don’t like me though. Ha!) I grew up with Jewish girlfriends and lunched at the best delicatessens in Michigan. The bagel shops were phenomenal, too. I’ve gotta get my hands on some gluten-free bagels now! Thanks for sharing. Will be pinning tonight!

SueK — February 7, 2014 @ 8:34 AM

My family will absolutely love these. Do you think they could be made ahead, frozen and reheated in the micro or oven? If I could make a bunch of these on the weekend and use during the week they would be even more amazing. I’m thinking probably an oven reheat might work best. Thanks for a great recipe!

Lori Lange — February 7, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

I’m thinking that would be a great idea! The only thing I’d worry about is the bagel getting a little tough. I’m excited for someone to try it out and let us know! You could definitely make them the night before, refrigerate overnight and then microwave to heat up.

Tina Hoffman — February 7, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

Wow, this is a WONDERFUL idea! You are brilliant! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this.

Suzanne B — February 7, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

What an awesome idea…….and so easy to take on the go. Love it!

Rachel — February 7, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

These are SO CUTE! Definitely going to make them for my girls soon.

Rachel — February 7, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

This would be a great, fun recipe to do in my kids’ classes. I love teaching them how to make real food for themselves and this idea is perfect for the 10-14 year old crowd…a great dorm room snack too…Thanks for the inspiration!

Rena — February 7, 2014 @ 9:46 AM

Brlliant!!Looks delicious. Im jewish so I know all about the bagel/challah thing :)

Lori Lange — February 7, 2014 @ 9:53 AM

Great idea!

The Nested Turtle — February 7, 2014 @ 9:53 AM

Wow What a GREAT IDEA! I love bagels but am always hungry a couple hours later. This is perfect! I can’t wait to try it.

Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet — February 7, 2014 @ 10:19 AM

This is so creative! I love bagels and I love quiche – this is perfect!

Anna @ Garnish with Lemon — February 7, 2014 @ 10:32 AM

Oooh, love this idea, Lori! Especially since pie crust and I don’t always get along. Perfect compromise!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — February 7, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

Very creative! I need this in my life as fast as possible.

Rachelle of Mommy? I'm Hungry! — February 7, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

Love this idea! Would be another great way to eat some of those (awful uncooked) gluten free bagels I buy. ;)

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — February 7, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

This is awesome Lori! Way to combine your two favorite breakfasts :) Love it.

La Torontoise — February 7, 2014 @ 12:20 PM

Lori, that was a big hit on my dinner table tonight!! Absolutely unbeatable Friday after-long-day-at-work meal!!
    Thank you so much! What a great start for the weekend!
    My husband loved it too.

All the best and have a good weekend!

La Torontoise — February 7, 2014 @ 12:24 PM

PS. Lori, I only now realize you suggested this for breakfast:-)
    Well, we are breakfast-for-dinner kind of eaters… Was sooo delicious, and sooo quick!! Add a glass of red wine, and the experience is complete:-)

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — February 7, 2014 @ 3:43 PM

What a cool idea! Cream cheese AND cheese on a bagel? Even better idea!

Lori Lange — February 7, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

I’m so glad you tried it for dinner and liked it! We love breakfast for dinner too :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 7, 2014 @ 3:45 PM

I really really love this idea!!

Jackie @ The Beeroness — February 7, 2014 @ 4:05 PM

Lori, this is brilliant!

Amy @Very Culinary — February 7, 2014 @ 6:57 PM

That’s just awesome.

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — February 7, 2014 @ 7:56 PM

Oh my gosh I love this!!

Tieghan — February 7, 2014 @ 8:08 PM

This is so creative and cool!! I have to give it a try!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — February 7, 2014 @ 8:14 PM

I’m sold! What a great way to use up last night dinner’s left overs too. I’m sure my hubby would love to eat one of these on his way to work.

Carol — February 8, 2014 @ 5:20 AM

Can’t wait to try these, but you say scramble the eggs in the recipe, but they look uncooked in the picture as they are poured. You did mean whisk the eggs? They are not cooked before putting into the bagel, right???

Lori Lange — February 8, 2014 @ 6:54 AM

oh dear- yes… whisked! They will cook in the oven :)

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking & More — February 8, 2014 @ 7:29 AM

Great idea, Lori! And it looks so delicious!! Sharing!!

Bob-o Forrest — February 8, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

Truly loved the Bagel Quiche. I am from New York and love my Bagels. Now living in Fairview Oregon we do get good Bagels and I always look for new and exciting ways to serve them.

cheri — February 8, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

How clever! What a great idea.

Paula – bell’alimento — February 8, 2014 @ 1:59 PM

I love this idea! I can’t wait to try this out on the family very soon!

Joanne — February 9, 2014 @ 6:22 AM

I am both egg-obsessed and bagel-obsessed! Loving this bagel bread bowl for quiche idea!

whatjessicabakednext — February 9, 2014 @ 8:32 AM

Such a great idea! Love quiche and bagels- genius combining the two! Definitely going to try this, Lori! ):

Cynthia Walker — February 9, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

OMG….can’t wait to try this

chacha — February 9, 2014 @ 2:30 PM

I made these today and they are PRETTY DARN GOOD. I used nonstick foil from the dollar store. I also made Caramel Popcorn for the 1st time and never new how easy it was to make so i made 2 big batches and bagged them. Also made brownies and cut lg. heart shapes and then smaller hearts with white cake and red jello. OMG I have been busy. I just need to get marshmallows to put on top of them and im ahead of the game for VAL. Day. TKS for another great recipe. Happy Valentines DAY TO ALL.

kelley — February 10, 2014 @ 9:44 AM

Obsessing over these, Lori! So darn clever- can’t wait to try them!!

Amy — February 11, 2014 @ 9:25 AM

I very much question the source of these egg “facts”. They came from the egg industry which are going to be outrageously biased. There has been a lot of light shed on the food industry corruption and bias in the past few years (e.g., Food Inc), and one should always explore other sources of information as well.

Even doing a simple google search of what percentage of hens are in battery cages in the US (i.e., crammed in with other chickens, can’t even flap their wings, kept in the dark, have their beaks clipped) show that 90-95% of hens are living in these conditions. The egg industry’s claim that chickens are living longer due to more space and health conditions is just bogus.

Additionally, isn’t it concerning that they are somehow producing more eggs with fewer resources? The fact that they are using less water and chickens are producing MORE eggs says to me that a cut is happening somewhere, and it’s likely that cut is coming at the expense of the animals’ welfare.

I think your recipe is super clever, and I very much enjoy your blog. I also think that eggs are a great way to get protein into your diet. I am a not crazy animal rights activist, but I do believe in researching where your food comes from and not supporting an industry that doesn’t respect the animals it uses for product. These “facts” are simply propaganda, and I’m disappointed to see them on this blog.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — February 11, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

This is such a great idea! I’m definately going to make it for breakfast in the near future!

Lori Lange — February 16, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

Hi Amy, I appreciate the comment and always welcome a spirited discussion! Absolutely agree that everyone should do their own research to determine what makes the most sense for them and their families. I have always tried to be as honest as I can be w/ my blog and, in this case, cited the American Egg Board as the source for some of this information. All that said—thank you for the kind words on my recipe—hope you enjoyed!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 23, 2014 @ 6:53 AM

I just love quiche, this is such a brilliant idea :) I can’t wait to try it out!

Julie — February 23, 2014 @ 1:11 PM

This made me smile. What a fun recipe to try! Thank you!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — February 28, 2014 @ 7:16 AM

I am seriously just in awe. I need this in my life. I cannot wait to try it, Lori!!

Lori Lange — February 28, 2014 @ 7:41 AM

How sweet of you to say- try it!

Nana Linda — March 12, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Fun Food Health fan loves this clever recipe.
    Two grandchildren have enjoyed a similar Happy Face Meal a la Nana using 1/2 of the egg mixture filled bagel as the happy smile! And yes, they added their smiles to the treat: a healthy happy meal! My daughter in law just hooked me up to Facebook, and now I’m busy catching up with all the terrific recipes and neat things offered…worth its billions$$$ LOL? Nana

Nicole — March 15, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

So, I love … Love … LOVE this recipe! Such a great idea :)

Amy — March 18, 2014 @ 12:47 PM

I’ve made these EVERY DAY since last week for my breakfast. Portable, can whip up ahead of time to reheat…delicious. THANK YOU

Lori Lange — March 18, 2014 @ 12:52 PM

wow, that is so cool to hear!! Thanks!

Laureen — March 29, 2014 @ 9:16 AM

What a great idea, I’ll be making these soon. My son will love them!

Angelica Mishoe — September 10, 2014 @ 10:34 AM

This is one of the most wonderful ideas that is probably in everybody’s mind but nobody does. Thank you for coming up with it, I’m certainly going to try it, love bagels & eggs, wonderful together.