Caramel Apple Bagel Bread Pudding is a dessert recipe that is completely perfect for fall.
Bread pudding has always been such a big-time favorite in my house. All of those layers of bread soaked with sweet milk and cinnamon (and in this case- apples too!) and baked to perfection. Bread pudding perfection = crispy edges and bread still tender and warm. The apples baked within the layers of the bread… as well as the drizzle of caramel sauce on top make this an over-the-top kind of dessert. Make it now!
How to make Caramel Apple Bagel Bread Pudding:
This bread pudding recipe is made unique by using cinnamon raisin bagels in place of traditional bread. This already- flavored variety is perfect for bread pudding! Just slice up the bagels into small pieces and set them into your baking dish.
Lightly sauté apples in butter and sugar until they’re caramelized.
Then spoon the caramelized apples on top of the bagel pieces.
The secret to a good bread pudding is to make sure that the bread mixture is generously soaked with sweetened cream. This is the next step!
I like to cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place another baking dish on top to weight down the bread and make sure it’s completely submerged in the cream. Let it sit like this for 30 minutes, and then bake.
Here is the Caramel Apple Bagel Bread Pudding- fresh out of the oven. You can see that it plumps up and properly rises tall while baking.
You want to slice it while it’s still slightly warm, and drizzle some caramel syrup on top of individual servings. Bread pudding is excellent saved in the refrigerator and re-warmed the next day (and the day after that) too! You might also like to try my cinnamon caramel bread pudding recipe.
Caramel Apple Bagel Bread Pudding
- One 16-ounce bag cinnamon raisin bagels
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1 quart (4 cups) half and half cream
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup jarred caramel sauce, warmed
- Spray a 9x13-inch dish with nonstick spray. Slice the bagels into small chunks and scatter on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, and add the brown sugar. Stir until the butter and sugar are bubbling—continue to stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the apples and continue to stir until apples are well-coated with the caramel mixture. Cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Spoon the apples on top of the bagel pieces in the pan. Scrape the sugary juices evenly on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla and salt until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the bagel/apple mixture in the pan. Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap, and place another pan on top to submerge the bagels in the liquid. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make sure there is a rack in the middle and another rack on the bottom of the oven. Place a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil on the bottom rack (this will catch any potential drips). Remove the plastic wrap, cover the bread pudding with foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let cool for at least a few minutes before servings. Serve slices warm with a drizzle of caramel sauce.