Parmesan- Crusted Chicken

Here’s a super simple chicken recipe that the whole family will love > Parmesan- Crusted Chicken

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
Chicken is the one thing I can count on my family being happy with for dinner.  Trying to figure out some new and interesting ways to serve it that aren’t laden with fatty sauces or weird ingredients that my child won’t eat can be a challenge sometimes.  I love this three ingredient recipe (3 ingredients plus pepper), and it couldn’t be simpler to make.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts Prep

I like to start with chicken pieces that have about the same thickness all around.  If your chicken does not, give it a few pounds on the thicker parts with a mallet to thin it out a bit.  The chicken breasts are coated with Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese and pepper.  No salt is needed since cheese itself tends to have a good amount of sodium.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts Prep 2

The coated chicken is then fried in a nonstick pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. No oil needed either.  Yeah, this is a lower fat recipe too- bonus!

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts #recipe - RecipeGirl.com

And that is all, my friends!  Chicken dinner done.  It totally has enough flavor with the mustard and the Parm, and a quick sear on both sides ensures that the chicken maintains its juices and doesn’t get dried out.

Weeknight WondersI’ve waxed poetic about Ellie Krieger before, and here I am doing it again.  I love her cookbooks.  I have all of them, and I use them often!  This recipe comes from her newest book, Weeknight Wonders:  Delicious, Healthy Dinners in 30 Minutes or Less.  In the book you’ll find 150 recipes that span the categories of soups, sandwiches, meats, poultry, seafood, vegetarian, and desserts.  Each recipe is designed not to take any longer than 30 minutes – from preparation to getting it on the table.  The recipes were created with health in mind, and there is nutritional information included for every recipe.  These are the kinds of books I treasure most!  I’m excited to try Shrimp Pad Thai Salad, Chicken and Broken Noodle Soup, Mushroom Sloppy Joes, Korean Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry, Corn and Quinoa with Sausage, Orzo with Shrimp, Peas and Feta, Ravioli with Savory Pumpkin Sauce, and Double Chocolate Waffles.  This is a cookbook worth buying and using often!

Print Print Recipe

Parmesan- Crusted Chicken

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 7min

Ingredients:

2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (or 2/3 cup)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness of about 1/2-inch. Rub the top side of the chicken pieces with half of the mustard, then sprinkle with half of the cheese (pressing to adhere), and season with half of the pepper. Flip the chicken pieces over and repeat.

2. Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan, and cook, without moving it, until the cheese on the bottom forms a deep brown crust that releases fairly easy from the bottom of the pan (3 to 4 minutes). Flip and repeat on the other side, cooking until the chicken is cooked through- about three more minutes.

Tips:

*If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just make sure that the brand of Dijon you are using is known to be GF.

Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: One 6-ounce chicken breast
Calories per serving: 250
Fat per serving: 8g
Saturated Fat per serving: 3.5g
Sodium per serving: 510mg
Fiber per serving: 0g
Protein per serving: 41g
Cholesterol per serving: 120mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 1g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 6 Old Points Program: 6

Source:  Excerpted from  Weeknight Wonders by Ellie Krieger.  Copyright © 2013.  Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.

30 Responses to “Parmesan- Crusted Chicken”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — March 3, 2014 @ 3:25 AM

I love me a good, simple weeknight dinner…and chicken pleases my hubby too!
    Especially chicken with cheese. Anything with cheese.
    That looks like a great book! Thanks for sharing it!
    Pinned :)

Marie @ Little Kitchie — March 3, 2014 @ 4:32 AM

I know we would love this in our house! Putting this on the dinner menu for next week!

leslie — March 3, 2014 @ 5:06 AM

What a wonderful quick and simple chicken dinner! Love it.

Jenny Flake — March 3, 2014 @ 5:24 AM

Looks like a great dinner! Heaven knows we have chicken all of the time in my house :)

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — March 3, 2014 @ 5:33 AM

I am a long time fan of Ellie!! I have got to get my hands on her new book!! This looks amazing!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — March 3, 2014 @ 5:36 AM

I love Parmesan-crusted everything! And this chicken sounds (and looks) incredibles. Yay for meals that everyone enjoys!

Angie | Big Bear's Wife — March 3, 2014 @ 6:31 AM

I could eat chicken all the time too! Love this recipe, it looks so good and I can’t wait to try it!

marcie — March 3, 2014 @ 6:38 AM

This chicken has one beautiful, golden brown, crispy, crust! It looks just delicious. I LOVE Ellie Krieger and have 3 of her cookbooks. No doubt I would love her new one just as much. :)

Liz @ Virtually Homemade — March 3, 2014 @ 6:49 AM

I have a chicken loving family too. This looks perfect!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 3, 2014 @ 6:57 AM

I would seriously devour this!! Such a simple and tasty meal :)

Judy Carty — March 3, 2014 @ 7:07 AM

Thanks for the recommendation of Ellie Krieger. I found all her books at Abe Books on line. So in about a week I’ll have all but the new ones. We’re trying to loose some inches so I’m sure the recipes will help.

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron — March 3, 2014 @ 8:07 AM

4 ingredients for a delicious dinner? Count me in!! Love this simple dish Lori!

KalynsKitchen — March 3, 2014 @ 8:11 AM

Definitely sounds like a winner! I love how the cheese gets browned.

Lori Lange — March 3, 2014 @ 9:26 AM

She’s truly so talented at recipe development, and especially focusing on healthy. Enjoy!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — March 3, 2014 @ 11:28 AM

I like parmesan crusted anything. This looks great and so easy for a weeknight meal.

Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction — March 3, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

This simple chicken dinner sounds wonderful! I need to add it to our menu soon!

Tieghan — March 3, 2014 @ 8:52 PM

My family loves parmesan. This chicken would be a huge hit!

Anna@CrunchyCreamySweet — March 4, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

This dinner idea is going to be a huge hit in our family! Love how easy it is!

Jaclyn — March 4, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

How do you make chicken look so good? I always dread posting it because I can never make it look good – but yours I could seriously dive right into! That golden exterior and the shaved parmesan over the top – dreamy!

Jennie @themessybakerblog — March 4, 2014 @ 12:53 PM

I’ll take anything crusted in chicken and seared to perfection. Yum!

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — March 4, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

Mm, love the dijon in there Lori. Looks like another winner! Simple is best.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 5, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

I love simple weeknight dishes like this!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 5, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

I love simple weeknight meals like this!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — March 6, 2014 @ 2:09 PM

This looks fantastic, Lori! Love, love, love parmesan-crusted chicken!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 10, 2014 @ 11:37 AM

Oh yum, I love this recipe! Parmesean crusted chicken is always good

Stephanie-Oh — March 11, 2014 @ 7:38 AM

Hi,
    Made the Parmesan-Crusted Chicken for last night dinner. So good and so easy. I was a little leery about the mustard but I could barely taste it. I will definitely make this again. Great for summer meals with a nice Caesar salad.

Helen @ Scrummy Lane — March 14, 2014 @ 3:54 AM

I had a version of this dish at a restaurant last night and quite frankly it was awful! Overcooked and very salty. Yours on the other hand looks wonderfully simple and you explain how to make it so clearly. Thank you and I will definitely be trying this on a busy week-night!

Renee @ Awesome on $20 — March 16, 2014 @ 6:02 PM

I love recipes that are so simple they seem almost too good to be true. Thanks for sharing this.

Kari — March 20, 2014 @ 5:59 PM

I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out great — more flavorful than I expected. The kids ate it all up too. Thanks!

Linda Hielscher — April 6, 2014 @ 5:51 PM

Lori, this dish was so good! I love it when I find a simple 3 ingredient recipe that is not only good tasting but good for you. Thank you for making my life easier.