Here’s a really unique, beautiful and delicious summer salad for you to try > Blueberry Corn Salad with Prosciutto.
I love all of the colors in this salad. It just SCREAMS summer, doesn’t it??
This recipe comes from a cookbook by Claire Gallam: Eat Skinny, Be Skinny- 100 Wholesome and Delicious Recipes Under 300 Calories. Author Gallam writes the fabulous blog, The Realistic Nutritionist –a mixture between low-fat, gluten-free, vegan and Weight Watchers meals. The cookbook contains the full range of recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, salads, cocktails and dessert) – all at less than 300 calories per serving. Nutritional information is included on every recipe. I must admit… I am totally a sucker for cookbooks that promise lighter recipes. And any cookbook that has “skinny” featured in the title is a big win too. I’m so excited to try these recipes from the book (though EVERYTHING looks awesome) > Creamy White Bean and Broccoli Dip, White Wine Slushies, Cajun Fish Tacos, Low Fat Diner-Style Biscuits, Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese, Whole Wheat Banana Bread Bars and Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream. Doesn’t that all sound so good??
Okay, back to the recipe I made from the book- this totally pretty summer salad. So here’s the scoop. This recipe was the first one that caught my eye from the book. It seemed a little crazy… corn mixed with blueberries and prosciutto and tomato??? A little strange, right? Well, I mixed it all up and served it at a barbecue with some neighbors…
…and we all really loved it! The combo of the fresh corn, the sweet fruit and the salty prosciutto is delicious. It’s a neat blend of terrific, summery things, and it totally works! A couple of things: I love arugula a lot, and I think it would be great served over a nice bed of arugula too (instead of the arugula being mixed into the salad). But either way would work (since some people maybe don’t like arugula as much as I do!) Also, I think this salad would be just as good made with raw corn cut off the cob instead of cooking it. Again, I enjoy raw corn in a salad… so you’d have to decide if you like that too! In any case, it’s the perfect salad to make this summer- especially if you are entertaining or needing something to bring to a potluck. Enjoy!
Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make this recipe, then scroll to the bottom to print out the complete recipe.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes + cooling time
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Blueberry Corn Salad with Prosciutto
- 5 ears fresh white sweet corn (I used bi-color)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup baby arugula (I used more)
- 6 slices prosciutto (5-ounces), chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (I used agave nectar)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil and add a dash of salt. Remove the husks from the corn, clean off the silk strands, and then place into the boiling water. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the water and let the corn cool completely. Once cool enough to handle, hold the ear vertically and cut the corn from the cobs.
- Place the corn in a large bowl. Mix with the blueberries, chopped pepper, tomato and onion. Mix in 1/2 cup of arugula and add more if you'd like. Mix to combine. Stir in the prosciutto.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil and honey. Drizzle onto the salad and toss. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/5th of the salad) Calories: 205, Fat: 10.2g, Fiber: <1g, Protein: 5.4g, Carbohydrates: 38.4g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 8, Points Plus: 7, Old Points Program: 5