posted in Casseroles

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

Here’s a recipe I used to make for my husband all the time when we first got married:  Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

This recipe has been tucked away in my files for such a long time.  I don’t think I’ve made it since about 2001!  We seriously loved this recipe so much when we were a young married couple.  It’s so super simple to make, it’s total comfort food, and the leftovers are terrific stuffed into a burrito.

tex mex chicken and rice casserole recipe

I think my fondness for this recipe grew when I was pregnant with my son Brooks.  I wanted Mexican food and nothing else the entire 9 months.  Thank goodness we had a ton of little taco shops in San Diego, where we lived at the time.  My husband was sent to just about every one of them to grab dinner 3 to 4 nights a week!  On the occasion that I felt like cooking, I made this Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole.

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe -

It’s awesome topped with some easy-to-make guacamole and sour cream.  The recipe makes a lot, so you can eat leftovers for a couple of days.  Eating mega Mexican food while pregnant must have had its effect on baby… since my teenager loves this now too!

Yield: 8 servings (1 cup)

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole

Sometimes I use brown rice for an added health boost.

• 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 Tablespoons salted butter
  • One 8-ounce package chicken-flavored rice mix with vermicelli
  • 1 cup long grain white rice
  • Two 14-ounce cans chicken broth
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 3 to 4 cups cooked, chopped chicken breasts
  • 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • One 4-ounce can drained, diced green chiles
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • guacamole, sour cream and lime wedges, for serving (optional)

1. In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onion in the butter until tender (3 to 4 minutes). Stir in rice mix, seasoning packet and uncooked white rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 20 minutes (liquid will not be fully absorbed and the mixture will appear "soupy").
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a very large mixing bowl; stir in chicken, tomatoes, chiles, basil, chili powder, cumin and pepper.
  4. Pour the mixture into a 3-quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese, and bake for 5 more minutes. Serve hot.  Top with guacamole and sour cream, if desired.  Pass lime wedges for squeezing too!
*This casserole makes a lot.  Leftovers are great for burritos- add lettuce, freshly chopped tomato, etc.

More Tex Mex recipes you might enjoy:

21 Responses to “Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole”

1. postedAug 8, 2010 5:37 PM
    Kristin Sollars

Just made this tonight for dinner and it was a hit! I also substituted brown rice for white since it was what I had in the cabinet. It was really good!

2. postedMar 23, 2015 5:14 AM

Can’t wait to share this with my wife. We usually end up at Chipotle every night and that’s just wrong. When my wife was pregnant, all she wanted was food with garlic! Our kids now love garlic. Crazy how that works.

3. postedMar 23, 2015 5:35 AM

I  LOVE Mexican food! Growing up in Texas it’s a “must” to indulge in Mexican food at least twice a week. I love this recipe because it’s “man” friendly.  I can make it in advance, it has all the flavors we love, and it can last me all week (probably freezes easy too)! This is a great “go-to” recipe, I can see this on my dinner plate in the near future! Love the new site update!

4. postedMar 23, 2015 5:51 AM

I have an OLD favorite similar to this. I don’t think I’ve made it since 2000. I love the idea of guacamole on top. Guacamole is good on so many things. I’ll have to give your recipe a try and then try my old one again.

5. postedMar 23, 2015 6:14 AM

I bet the hubby is happy you broke this recipe back out, I sure am, it looks amazing 🙂

6. postedMar 23, 2015 7:05 AM

This looks phenomenal Lori! We love dishes like this in my house. I agree with Amanda – I know  your husband is glad this one came back out of the recipe box! I can’t wait to try it myself!!! 🙂

7. postedMar 23, 2015 7:51 AM

Love this! I need more of easy weeknight dinner ideas and this looks perfect!

8. postedMar 23, 2015 9:06 AM

I craved Mexican food while I was pregnant with my oldest son, too — I couldn’t get enough!  This dish looks so cheesy and delicious!

9. postedMar 23, 2015 10:11 AM

I could easily eat this every night of the week, love it!

10. postedMar 23, 2015 2:10 PM

This looks/sounds so good, Lori. Putting on my weekly menu for next week!

11. postedMar 23, 2015 3:50 PM
    La torontose

Lori, such an easy recipe, will give it a try.
     Love tex men.

12. postedMar 23, 2015 8:07 PM

Hey Lori, thanks so much for the shoutout! : )

13. postedMar 24, 2015 4:37 AM

Oh my goodness this sounds good!  I’ll have to try it soon.

14. postedMar 24, 2015 8:48 AM

All that melted cheese! This looks delicious!!

15. postedMar 24, 2015 1:54 PM

My Tex-Mex loving self will love this!! Looks so good!

16. postedMar 25, 2015 7:18 AM

I think my family will love this!  I’ve never bought a rice mix—any thoughts on what spices it might have?  Could I add another cup of rice and spices as a substitute?

17. postedMar 25, 2015 9:04 AM

I can see why your family loves this so much!  Easy, cheesy and delicious.

18. postedJul 26, 2015 4:47 AM
    Annmarie W.

Nice to know that I was not the only pregnant woman who has craved Mexican food throughout her pregnancy! Will have to try this recipe!

19. postedJan 2, 2016 8:54 PM

Fantastic recipe. Followed it exactly as it was written and glad I did. All of the different flavors came through wonderfully. But you lied. You said it made a lot. I think that you meant to say it makes A LOT!!!! Fortunately, for Christmas I got a vacuum-pack food sealer. 🙂

20. postedMay 10, 2016 4:33 PM

If anyone is interested – I ran it through a nutrition calculator & if it’s divided into 10 servings, it has about 350 calories