I’ve partnered with M&M’S® to create an adorable Easter treat recipe: Easter Grass Sugar Cookies with M&M’S Eggs.
I’ve actually wanted to make these cookies for a long time. Creating “grass” frosting on cookies and cakes is fun, and the addition of M&M’S cute, little milk chocolate eggs on top makes these so sweet and perfect for Easter.
The cookies themselves are a soft sugar cookie. The dough is chilled for a few hours (or overnight), then rolled into balls, flatted with a drinking glass dipped in sugar, and baked into nice, round cookies. The recipe makes about 21 cookies.
For the frosting “grass,” you’ll need one of these. It’s a cake decorating tip specifically for squeezing frosting into the shape of grass on your cookies. Pick it up at a craft store that sells cake decorating supplies (or a baking supply shop). While you’re there, grab a plastic disposable pastry bag (unless you already have one at home). Of course, if you’re not into making frosting grass, it’s perfectly okay to just frost the tops of the cookies with green frosting and add the eggs on top.
The frosting “grass” is just squeezed through the tip of the pastry bag onto the cookies. Short squeezes of frosting onto the cookies will create the grassy look you’re going for. The M&M’S Milk Chocolate Eggs come in 4 colors, which is really great since four eggs will fit nicely on top of your Easter grass cookies. For best results, I’d frost these the day you’d like to serve them. If you make them the day before, it’s probably best to keep them refrigerated in a single layer until the day of serving.
Here’s what you’ll get out of these delightful Easter cookies: a soft and sweet sugar cookie topped with grassy green, vanilla buttercream and the *bonus* of crunchy M&M’S Milk Chocolate Eggs on top.
Want to find more great M&M’S recipes? Check out the M&M’S Pinterest page: www.pinterest.com/mmschocolate.
Yield: About 21 cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Easter Grass Sugar Cookies with M&M'S Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional granulated sugar for flattening cookies
Frosting and decor:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream or whole milk
- a few drops of green gel paste coloring
- One 10.90 ounce bag M&M'S Milk Chocolate Eggs
- Prepare the cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Beat until creamy. Add in the sour cream, egg and vanilla, and continue to mix until well-combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Transfer the dough to the medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until the dough has firmed up.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets 2-inches apart (the dough will be sticky). Place a little bit of sugar in a small bowl. Wet the bottom of a drinking glass with water, dip in the sugar and use the bottom of the glass to flatten each cookie-- dip in sugar again before flattening each cookie to prevent sticking.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or just until cooked through.
- Prepare the frosting and decorate: In a large bowl, use a mixer to combine the butter and sugar on low speed. Continue to mix until the mixture becomes well-blended and comes together. Add the vanilla and the cream and continue to beat until all is well-combined and a good piping consistency. Add in a small amount of green coloring and mix until you have achieved the color you hoped for. Scoop into a piping bag with a "grass" piping tip attached to it. Pipe "grass" onto the cookies by squeezing the bag in short bursts onto the tops of the cookies. Top each cookie with four M&M'S eggs.
- Store at room temperature until ready to serve, if serving on the same day. If serving the next day, it's best to refrigerate the cookies in an even layer. Bring to room temperature when ready to serve.
- You might have a small amount of frosting left over. I suggest you spread it between graham crackers for a sweet snack. The frosting may be refrigerated and brought to room temperature when ready to use again.