These Agave and Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies are a good healthy cookie choice.
If I could bake every day, I’d be one happy girl. It doesn’t really matter what I bake, I enjoy seeing the outcome and I love to make it pretty. I’m determined that my love of baking will not be deterred by my never-ending quest to partake in healthy eating. The ongoing challenge is to learn to sample, as a good baker should, but not indulge.
These cookies are sweetened only with honey and agave nectar. If you’re not familiar with agave nectar, you can find it at Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, or other specialty or health food markets.
The recipe calls for whole wheat pastry flour and toasted wheat germ or flaxseed. I used ground flaxseed instead of wheat germ for a little added fiber.
These cookies can be made with raisins or M&M’s. I thought I might be a bit more successful in getting my kiddo to eat these ‘healthy’ cookies if I left out the raisins and studded a few M&M’s on top. We usually have some of those mini M&M’s lying around. My son has fun doing the ‘studding’ part, putting all of his favorite colors on ‘his’ cookie.
These oatmeal cookies stay pretty thick- not a lot of spreading out. They’re not a crispy or cakey cookie. The texture is a little like a dense granola bar. The spattering of M&M’s on top is a perfect addition to give them a bit more pizzazz and sweetness. The kiddo loves them… I like to tuck them into his lunches. The husband enjoys them too.
One cookie sure feels like an indulgent treat, especially when you’re eating healthy! The best part about these cookies… this recipe makes only 8 cookies- just enough so that true indulgence is barely an option.
Agave and Honey Oatmeal M&M Cookies
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (or wheat germ)
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon (heaping) ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup M&M's or raisins (more if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Mix egg, agave, honey, oil and vanilla together in a bowl. Whisk together very well.
- Combine flour, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk very well, then stir into agave mixture until blended. Stir in oats and M&M's (or raisins). Let batter sit for about 5 minutes.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. You should be able to fit 8 cookies on one sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes, until set and golden. Cool completely. Store in covered container.
- Note that this only makes 8 cookies, which is a good idea for those who are watching their weight (not too many cookies lying around 🙂 )
- Agave nectar can be found at Trader Joe's and other specialty markets & health food stores.