Here’s a great salad that showcases the wonderful green known as kale: Berry and Bacon Kale Salad with Blackberry Jam Vinaigrette.
Green, leafy kale is among my secret obsessions. I must admit… it’s better than being obsessed with cream-filled donuts or four-ct. diamonds or loafing around on the couch all day. Kale is healthy and full of nutrients, and I just happen to think that it’s terrific.
I love it sautéed and simply seasoned, and I especially love it when added to soups. When I spot a kale salad on a restaurant menu, where it is served raw and tossed with dressing, I don’t hesitate to order it. For me, a good kale salad is a treat indeed.
Kale is a little different than lettuce. Lettuce can be drizzled with salad dressing and it’s good to go. Kale leaves are tougher, so they need a little tender-loving care when utilized for salad.
I like to cut the leaves into small pieces or shreds, and toss them with the salad dressing. Then let them marinate in the dressing for about 20 minutes before you add in the other ingredients.
This salad is dressed with a simple blackberry jam vinaigrette (sub strawberry jam if you’d like), and the add-ins are berries, crumbled crispy bacon, and feta or goat cheese.
It just so happens to turn out to be a great 4th of July barbecue recipe for a couple of reasons:
- #1: It’s red, white and blue! It’s always fun to serve a festive-looking salad on the 4th, right?
- #2: It’s healthy too! With all of the great, not-so-light food you may be scarfing down on the 4th of July, you can feel good about eating a little bit of this to even things out. 🙂
How do you feel about kale? Are you a big fan like me… or do you still need some convincing?
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Berry and Bacon Kale Salad with Blackberry Jam Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon seedless blackberry jam
- 5 to 6 cups chopped kale, ribs removed and just leaves chopped or cut into shreds
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ⅔ cup fresh raspberries or chopped strawberries
- ⅔ cup fresh blackberries or blueberries
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the kale in a large bowl. Drizzle the vinaigrette on top and toss it well. Let the kale marinate in the vinaigrette for about 20 minutes (tossing again once in a while to redistribute the dressing).
- Add the remaining ingredients, toss again, and serve.
Here are a few more kale salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Marinated Kale Salad with Apples and Oranges by Community Table
- Kale Salad with Butternut Squash by Recipe Girl
- Chicken- Orange Kale Salad by Reluctant Entertainer
- Asian Kale Salad with Sesame Dressing by Heather Christo
I made this for a large crowd of visiting family. Every single person thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you for publishing the recipe. Well done!
Never thought to marinate the kale first. Great idea! This salad is just bursting with flavor. Looks amazing!
Well, I have to say… this is the first time I’m seeing kale and berries paired together. Which is surprising when I think about it. I’m absolutely loving this though!
Yum!!! Looks like my kind of salad.
see what this kind of salad does to me? I can’t even spell. Mercy!
I just wrote about my freak love for kale last week! I love love love it, and with bacon ad berries?! You have my stomach roaring with excitement.
I love kale as well! And you are right – it is incredibly healthy. I have a large mulberry tree in the backyard that is bearing fruit right now. This salad would be perfect with mulberries. I am definitely going to try this. Thanks!!
Hi, Lori – I LOVE kale and am always looking for new recipes. Earlier this year I made a really tasty bacon, kale and tomato pizza. (Of course it was good… it had bacon on it!). Here is my latest salad with kale: http://apassionateplate.com/farro-salad-with-kale/
Thanks for the inspiring idea. Bacon & kale go great together and I love the addition of the blackberries.
I need to get on bored with kale. I just haven’t been won over yet, but this salad looks great, so maybe I need to try it again.
Berries, and bacon OMG this may be teh best summer salad! I love all the ingredients, it sounds so delicious!
I’ve only just discovered Kale since getting my Vitamix and have only been using it in the smoothies. I tried it cooked once and my hubby turned his nose up on it as well. I have some growing in the garden and will definitely give this a shot.
I have to try kale again. I had it a couple of times and didn’t like it, but they say 2 times a charm! Your salad looks delish and I love the dressing.
Yum that does look pretty awesome! I love the contrast in colors 🙂
Looks like such a yummy salad! 😀
What a gorgeous salad, this looks amazing! 🙂
Such a great combo of flavours Lori, this sounds amazing!
My husband is not a kale fan, but maybe this will change his mind (bacon usually does)! It also helps that we have all the ingredients on hand right now, too.
I made kale chips this weekend and, while it wasn’t his favorite, he said it was better than the garlic-sauteed kale I usually make…
I love kale as well! One of the best greens out there. And this salad looks perfect! I can’t wait to try it.
this looks so fun and delicious Lori! I like kale sometimes, but I’m sure I would love this!
Lori, I love kale! It is a secret obsession of mine too. So many different wonderful flavors in this summer salad – I must recreate your blackberry jam vinaigrette! Looks so simply wonderful, I love homemade salad dressings. Much easier than one would think!
Beautiful colors, looks wonderful!
This salad looks amazing! I love the dressing, too. xo
Hard to believe, but I haven’t had much kale yet. I’m not into bitter greens, but this dressing sounds like it’ll do the trick!
LOVE all the ingredients in this salad (especially the bacon…who am I kidding)