These Blue Cheese and Walnut Shortbread are like cookies, but they’re a savory treat for cocktail hour.
If you’re looking for an appetizer that’s a little bit different, try these blue cheese and walnut shortbread bites! You can make them ahead for a party. Right before serving, the blue cheese shortbread is spread with cream cheese and chutney. The shortbread appetizers are decorated with a walnut and a sprig of parsley (optional). They’re pretty!
- crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
- unsalted butter
- all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- cream cheese
- jarred chutney
- fresh parsley
How to toast walnuts:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the walnut halves on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven until scented and lightly browned. Watch them closely so they don’t burn!
How to make Blue Cheese and Walnut Shortbread:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Bake until light brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
Make Ahead Tip:
The shortbread can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container. Assemble with the toppings up to 1 hour before serving.
Blue Cheese and Walnut Shortbread
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese (low fat is fine)
- 3 tablespoons jarred chutney, preferably Major Grey's
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted for garnishing
- parsley, for garnishing
- Combine the blue cheese and butter in a small food processor; process until creamy. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, pepper, and kosher salt together; add to the blue cheese mixture. Pulse to combine. Add the chopped walnuts and process just until incorporated. Do not over-process. Remove the blue cheese mixture from the food processor bowl and shape into a ball; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Place the chilled dough on a piece of plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Roll the dough out about ⅛-inch thick. Remove the plastic wrap and cut into 1-inch circles or rectangles using a fluted cookie cutter. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used. Bake until light brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
- To assemble: Spread ¼ teaspoon of the cream cheese on each shortbread. Top with equal amounts of chutney, a walnut half, and a leaf of parsley.
- To toast the walnuts, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnut halves on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven until scented and lightly browned. Watch them closely so they don't burn!
- Do ahead tip: The shortbread can be prepared up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container. Assemble up to 1 hour before serving.