These Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins are a great, low fat breakfast treat.
There is nothing better than blueberry muffins. Look for the biggest, juiciest, sweetest fresh blueberries you can find, and use them in these muffins. They’ll be the best!
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1⅔ cups quick cooking oats
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar (or chunky, white sparkling sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 16 muffin cups with nonstick spray.
- Place oats in food processor; pulse until oats resemble coarse-meal. Place in a large bowl. Add flours, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, stir together buttermilk, oil, lemon rind, and eggs. Add to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are incorporated and moist.
- In a medium bowl, toss blueberries with 2 tablespoons flour. Gently fold floured blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon batter into the muffin cups, dividing it evenly between 16. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.