This easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a favorite way to warm up on chilly days.
This time of year, recipes for sweets and holiday treats seem to be everywhere. It’s as if we’ve forgotten that we need to eat regular meals, not just cookies!
Not to worry, I’ve got you covered with this easy soup recipe. This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is just what you need after a long day. It’s warm, nourishing and so good with freshly baked bread.
Sure, you could stop at the store (or a certain restaurant) and buy some broccoli cheese soup. But it wouldn’t be nearly as good as this homemade version. There’s something to be said for knowing exactly what goes into your food, and preparing a home-cooked meal yourself.
Plus, the smell of soup cooking in your own warm kitchen can’t be beat.
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is easy to make, and you can have it on your table in just about 30 minutes. A little chopping, some stirring and then you’ll let your soup simmer away on the stove until the vegetables are tender.
Not only is this soup easy to prepare, it’s also lightened up. Rather than using heavy cream or cream cheese to add creaminess, I’ve used a secret ingredient… potatoes! The potatoes also give this soup body and heartiness. Besides the potatoes and broccoli, we’re adding carrots and onion to our soup. There’s no shortage of veggies here!
I hope you’re enjoying this time of year and can make time to cozy up with a warm bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup this season. It’s healthy comfort food at its best.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add the broccoli, potatoes, carrot and broth.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. We like to puree it only partway, so that some pieces of potato and broccoli remain. (Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a blender to puree.)
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use gluten-free broth.