This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Gluten Free Thanksgiving Menu. This dish is gluten free adaptable- see tips below the recipe…
Caramelized Yams with Toasted Marshmallows
- 3 large (about 2 pounds) yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium orange, juiced (you only use the juice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. and spray a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss yams with butter. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast until tender, about 20- 25 minutes, tossing the yams to rearrange midway through baking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine orange juice, brown sugar, salt and ginger. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cook, until mixture is syrupy and reduced by about a third (about 5 minutes).
- Brush roasted yams with glaze. Carefully scoop yams into to a 9x13-inch casserole dish. (Make ahead tip: At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you're ready to serve. Bring them to room temperature, then microwave them until hot and continue with the recipe).
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top and place under a broiler until marshmallows are warm, toasted and gooey. Keep an eye on it so you don't burn the marshmallows!