These Glazed Sweet Potatoes are an easy side dish recipe to make for your Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday meal.
This is a very simple, four ingredient recipe. You’ll only need sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter and marshmallows. That’s it! Most people enjoy seeing a toasted marshmallow topped sweet potato casserole on their holiday table, so you should consider adding this to your menu. It’s not complicated at all to make.
Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams:
What’s the difference? In markets in the U.S., the light skinned potatoes are usually labeled as sweet potatoes and the copper skin/orange flesh potatoes are usually labeled as “yams.” Both of them are actually two different varieties of sweet potatoes. It’s confusing, isn’t it? You’ll want to use the orange flesh “yams” for this recipe.
How to make Glazed Sweet Potatoes:
You’ll need to bake the sweet potatoes. You can do this ahead of time. They take about an hour to bake. If you’re making them ahead, just chop the baked potatoes and refrigerate them until you’re ready to warm them up and serve them. The chopped potatoes are combined with brown sugar and melted butter and baked until warmed. Mini marshmallows are sprinkled on top, and the dish is placed under the broiler until the marshmallows are browned. Then they’re ready to serve!
These lovely sweet potatoes are coated with a buttery brown sugar glaze. The mini toasted marshmallows on top are a bonus- the perfect, classic touch to an easy sweet potato casserole. Add these glazed sweet potatoes to your holiday menu this year, and enjoy!
Here are a few more side dish recipes you might like to try:
- Orange Yams Colonial
- Creamed Corn
- Slow Cooker Baby Carrots
- Creamy Baked Green Beans
- Roasted Butternut Squash Gratin
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Savory Corn Pudding
Easy Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (purple skin, orange flesh)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom of a glass or non-stick baking dish with nonstick spray. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into medium size pieces. Place the cut sweet potatoes in the baking dish and turn them so that they are coated with the oil. Bake for 60 minutes or until soft. Slice the cooked potatoes into bite-sized pieces and return them to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with brown sugar and dot with butter. Cover the dish and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and sprinkle the marshmallows on top. Place under the broiler for a minute or two, just until the marshmallows turn light brown.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of marshmallows that is known to be GF.