These Creamy Baked Green Beans are a repeat recipe in my house!
Green Bean Casserole
You’re probably familiar with the green bean casserole classic, right? You know… the one with the cream of mushroom soup and the crispy onions on top? Everyone loves that recipe, and I do make my own version of it quite often for holiday dinners.
This Creamy Baked Green Beans recipe I’m sharing with you here is a different kind of green bean casserole. It calls for fresh green beans, and there is no cream of mushroom soup to be found.
Onion and garlic are sauteed together before adding the green beans. Then some broth is added to the pan, and all is simmered together for a few minutes until the broth nearly evaporates.
The creamy part of these Creamy Baked Green Beans comes in with added whipping cream. A touch of nutmeg is added for flavor. One more ingredient- shredded Parmesan- is mixed in, and then it’s spooned into a casserole dish with more Parmesan sprinkled on top.
These Creamy Baked Green Beans are then baked for 15 to 20 minutes, just until the beans are tender-crisp. Spoon out individual servings, and you’ll get a little bit of the onion, creamy sauce and cheese with each spoonful.
Creamy Baked Green Beans
These green beans would obviously be a very nice addition to a Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter dinner. I mention those major holidays since that’s when you usually make a green bean casserole.
They’d also be delicious as a side dish for a dinner party. I love that they’re different than ho-hum steamed green beans- but not as rich as the classic green bean casserole.
If you’re looking for more baked side dish recipes, you might like to try my Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Caramelized Onion Breadcrumbs or this Cauliflower Pizza Casserole. 5-Ingredient Corn Casserole, Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole and Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potato Casserole are good, baked side dish casseroles too.
Creamy Baked Green Beans
- 1 medium onion, quartered & thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed & snapped in half
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed)
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 1 1/2- quart oval baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a 12- inch skillet, cook the onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in the green beans and thyme. Cook for 4 minutes or until the onions begin to brown. Add the broth. Bring to boiling. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the broth is nearly evaporated. Add the whipping cream and nutmeg. Cook for 4 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Stir in half of the cheese, all of the salt & pepper, and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until the beans are tender- crisp.
- If preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is known to be GF.
- You may also sub trimmed and halved brussels sprouts for the beans. Increase the baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.