Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots is a really delicious and easy-to-make side dish recipe.
This recipe for green beans with caramelized shallots can be described as fresh cooked green beans with added caramelized onions and fresh thyme. It’s a really great side dish recipe to serve with a holiday dinner, but it’s also totally yummy to serve with a regular weeknight meal. We love it!
If you are a lover of caramelized onions, then you’ll love caramelized shallots just as much. Shallots are a little sweeter and more mild than yellow or white onions. They pair very well with green beans.
- fresh green beans
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
How to find good green beans:
Look for green beans that feel firm and crisp. Avoid green beans with any bruises or discoloration. Good beans will snap in half easily when fresh.
How to make Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots:
Bring fresh green beans to boil in a pot of salted water. Boil until tender- about 6 minutes. Drain the green beans and then transfer them to a bowl of ice water. This will cool them down and stop the cooking process immediately. Drain again, and set the green beans aside.
Heat a large skillet to medium-high and add butter and olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté for one minute. Reduce the heat to low, and sauté until the shallots are browned and tender. Sprinkle in fresh thyme, salt and pepper.
Add the cooked green beans to the skillet, and toss to combine them with the caramelized shallots. Add a little more salt and pepper, as desired.
Cook the green beans ahead of time. Wrap them in paper towels and seal in a large zip bag. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. On the day of serving, make the caramelized onions and add the cooked green beans to heat through.
This side dish recipe for Green beans with caramelized shallots is likely to become a new favorite of yours. It is so delicious served with Balsamic Rosemary Pork Tenderloin, and I love to make this recipe whenever I’m serving my Slow Cooker Cider Ham or this Paprika Chicken. Enjoy!
Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots
- 2 pounds green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 pound medium shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the green beans until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter with the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium-low; sauté until the shallots are browned and tender, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked green beans to the shallots and stir over medium-high heat until heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Serve warm.
- *Time saver: Prepare the green beans ahead of time in step 1. Wrap in paper towels and seal in a large zip bag. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.