This Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce is a family favorite. What could be better than fresh steamed broccoli topped with a Parmesan and Swiss cheese sauce?
Here’s one way to get the kids to eat their broccoli… douse it with this yummy cheese sauce!
Yield: 8 Servings (Serving Size: 3/4 cup broccoli + 2 1/2 Tbsp. sauce)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes + standing time
Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- dash of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Jarlsberg (Swiss) cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of ground red pepper
- 6 cups broccoli
- Combine milk, onion, garlic and nutmeg in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-heat. Heat to 180°F. or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving milk. Discard solids. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; add strained milk and flour to pan, stirring with a whisk. Return pan to medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Top with cheese sauce; serve immediately.
- If you wish to prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, sub GF flour for the all-purpose.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 3/4 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce) Calories: 64, Fat: 1.69g, Saturated Fat: .94g, Sugar: 2.04g, Fiber: .21g, Protein: 5.83g, Cholesterol: 5.81g, Carbohydrates: 7.36g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 2, Points Plus Program: 2, Old Points Program: 1.5
Slow- Cooked Broccoli with Garlic and Pancetta Next Post »
Shredded Parmesan Brussels Sprouts