This Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce is a family favorite. What could be better than fresh steamed broccoli topped with a Parmesan and Swiss cheese sauce?
Here’s one way to get the kids to eat their broccoli… douse it with this yummy cheese sauce!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to WW Points on the recipe card below.
Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup fat free milk
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (about 1½ ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese
- ⅓ cup (about 1½ ounces) shredded reduced-fat Jarlsberg (Swiss) cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 6 cups broccoli
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, onion, garlic and nutmeg over medium-heat. Heat to 180°F. or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain the milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving the milk. Discard the solids. Wipe the pan clean with paper towels; add the strained milk and flour to the pan, stirring with a whisk. Return the pan to medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add the cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Top with cheese sauce; serve immediately.
- If you wish to prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, sub GF flour or an alternative thickener for the all-purpose flour.