This Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce is a family favorite. What could be better than fresh steamed broccoli topped with a Parmesan and Swiss cheese sauce?
Here’s one way to get the kids to eat their broccoli… douse it with this yummy cheese sauce!
Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (about 1½ ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano- Reggiano cheese
- ⅓ cup (about 1½ ounces) shredded reduced-fat Jarlsberg (Swiss) cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 6 cups broccoli
- Combine milk, onion, garlic and nutmeg in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-heat. Heat to 180°F. or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving milk. Discard solids. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; add strained milk and flour to pan, stirring with a whisk. Return pan to medium heat; cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Keep warm.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Top with cheese sauce; serve immediately.