This recipe for Green Beans with Bacon is a delicious and impressive looking side dish.
Green beans are easy enough to find at the store right now. So why not grab some green beans and jazz them up a little to make a delicious Green Beans with Bacon side dish recipe? These green beans are combined with plenty of cooked bacon and crispy red onions.
How to make Green Beans with Bacon:
Be sure to scroll to the end of this post to find the recipe with complete instructions that you can print out.
First, you’ll cook the bacon in a skillet until it’s nice and crisp. Then you can remove the bacon from the pan and set it on paper towels to drain. Remove all of the bacon fat from the skillet except for about 1 tablespoon.
Next, you’ll cook the green beans for a brief amount of time in boiling water- just until they are crisp-tender (about 5 minutes). Then you’ll drain the green beans and add them to the skillet, along with the onions and butter.
The onions are cooked with the green beans in the skillet until they are browned and slightly crispy. And then you have the most wonderful Green Beans with Bacon!
How to trim green beans:
Line up the stems on your cutting board. The beans’ tough ends need to be cut off, but the other ends (the skinny, tapered tips) are tender and perfectly fine to eat. Sort the beans so that the stems all face one direction. Then take a knife and cut off the tough ends and discard them.
I like to use thick-cut bacon for this recipe. There is much more depth, flavor and texture in a thick piece of bacon!
If you’re looking for a side dish for Easter or another celebration, these Green Beans with Bacon are a good green bean side dish to consider. That bacon… and those crispy onions… really add a lot of flavor to ho-hum green beans. And of course, the butter in the recipe finishes it all off and makes it even more delicious. Enjoy!
Here are a few more recipes featuring bacon that you might like to try:
- Bacon Bit Burgers with Gouda and Smothered Onions
- Candied Bacon
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Creamy Bacon Chicken
- Beer and Bacon Dip
- Broccoli with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls
- Barbecue Chicken and Bacon Pizza
Green Beans with Bacon
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion rings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, and set aside. Remove most of the bacon fat from the pan and set aside (leave about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan).
- Add water to a 3-quart saucepan, and bring to a full boil. Add the beans, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp and tender (5 to 7 minutes); drain.
- Add the beans to the skillet along with the onion, butter, pepper and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is crisp and tender (5 to 7 minutes). Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the bacon.