These Creamy Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes are so simple to make, and I’m including make ahead instructions here too!
What makes these creamy? Additions of cream cheese, sour cream and butter make these Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes so smooth and creamy and rich. Everyone loves these, and they’re always a bit hit. You can lighten up the recipe a bit by using low fat cream cheese and light sour cream, but I recommend you go all out and use the good stuff!
How to Make Creamy Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes:
The potatoes are boiled until quite soft. Mash, and then mix in cream cheese, sour cream and garlic salt. That’s it! Then spoon the mashed potatoes into a buttered casserole dish and dot with pieces of butter. Garnish with chopped chives and a sprinkle of paprika. Bake for 15 minutes. Or make them ahead and bake them when you’re ready for them!
Are there Make Ahead instructions for these Mashed Potatoes?
I like to make these potatoes ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator. Prepare the recipe and place the potatoes in a casserole dish with garnishes on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to heat. Remove from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for at least an hour before baking. Remove plastic wrap, and bake as directed. If you’re lacking oven space, use your slow cooker to heat up the potatoes instead!
I also have a step-by-step tutorial on How to Make the Best Mashed Potatoes, if you’re interested in checking that out. I think they turn out perfect, but they’re not quite as creamy as my Creamy Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes since there is not cream cheese or sour cream in that one.
Here are a few more holiday side dish recipes you might be interested in:
- Sweet Potato Croissants
- Orange Sherbet Jello Salad
- Cranberry- Orange Glazed Green Beans
- Easy Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Double Decker Pumpkin- Caramel Pie
- Southern Pecan Pie
- Maple Roasted Pumpkin Salad
Creamy Oven Baked Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes are so simple to make!
- 10 large potatoes (peeled, washed & cut in half)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, chopped into small pieces
- chopped chives and paprika for garnish, optional
Boil the potatoes in a large pot of water until tender. Drain, transfer to a large bowl and mash. Add all of the other ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Transfer the potatoes to a large, buttered casserole dish. Top with dots of butter, chopped chives and paprika.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until they begin to brown on top.
- *Make ahead instructions: Prepare the recipe and place in a dish with garnishes on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to heat. Let sit at room temperature for at least an hour before baking. Remove plastic wrap, and bake as directed.
- *If you're lacking oven space, warm these up in a crockpot instead.
- *It's' perfectly ok to lighten this recipe up a bit by using low fat sour cream and cream cheese.