These are pretty much to-die-for mashed potatoes with a little bit of kick to them: Caramelized Onion and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes. I must admit… I was afraid these would be too spicy for my family to eat. Not to worry– the spicy stuff adds just enough flavor to make them awesome! Perhaps add a little bit of the horseradish mixture at a time to make sure they are just right for you!
Caramelized Onion and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, divided
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 2 1/2 pounds cubed peeled baking potato
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar; saute 10 minutes or until caramelized. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, if desired.
- Place potato in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return potato to pan. Add 3 tablespoons butter and milk; mash to desired consistency. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.
- Combine Dijon mustard and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add Dijon mustard mixture and caramelized onion mixture, stirring to combine.
- If preparing this as a GLUTEN FREE recipe, just make sure that you are using a brand of mayonnaise that is designated as GF.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving of 3/4 cup : Calories 177, Calories from Fat 52, Total Fat 6g, Sat Fat 3.3g, Cholesterol 14mg, Sodium 221g, Potassium 624mg, Carbohydrates 29g, Dietary Fiber 3.75g, Sugar 5g, Net Carbs 25.25g, Protein 3.5g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 6, PointsPlus: 5, Old Points Program: 5