Here’s a simple recipe for making homemade Caramels:
It’s safe to say that I’m totally addicted to caramels. I love their buttery flavor and chewy texture. It’s so hard to eat just one or two!
Caramels are perfect for gifting during the holidays. Wrap them in a pretty package with a beautiful “Homemade Caramels” label, and don’t forget to keep a few for yourself!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) salted butter, plus extra for buttering the pan
- One (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 9x13-inch pan.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, sugar and syrup. Stir continuously with a wooden spoon until a candy thermometer reaches 240 degrees F. Take off heat immediately. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Cool in the refrigerator until firm. Pop caramel block onto a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch cubes and wrap each caramel in waxed paper.