These Chocolate Chunk Butter Pecan Bars are an easy-to-make treat. Butter pecan bars have a baked buttery crust and are topped with melted chocolate and chopped pecans.
A simple dessert recipe:
These Butter Pecan Bars are such a simple dessert recipe to make. In fact, if you aren’t even much of a baker, this is the perfect recipe for you to try and impress your friends.
Here’s how to make Chocolate Chunk Butter Pecan Bars:
They begin with making the dough for a very simple buttery cookie crust. The crust consists of just six ingredients: brown sugar, butter, egg yolk, vanilla, flour and salt. You’ll press the crust into a 9×13-inch pan and bake. When the crust comes out of the oven, chocolate chips or chunks are tossed on top of the hot crust and they begin melting immediately. Once melted, the chocolate is spread around to create a “frosting,” and nuts are sprinkled on top. That’s it. So easy!
How do you get the yolk out of an egg white?
This recipe does indeed call for using one egg yolk and not the entire egg. It’s easy to separate an egg, and here’s how you do it:
- Crack the egg. Tap the egg gently on a flat surface, such as the countertop, to crack open its shell.
- Hold the egg upright, and let the yolk settle in one half of the shell. Open up the egg over a small bowl, allowing the yolk to rest in one of the open halves and allowing the egg white to drip into the bowl.
- Transfer the yolk carefully back and forth in the two egg shells (you don’t want the yolk to break), letting any excess egg white drip into the bowl.
Once your egg yolk is separated from the whites, you can add the egg yolk to your recipe and discard the egg whites (unless you have another use for them).
These Chocolate Chunk Butter Pecan Bars are a great treat to bring to a potluck party or to bring to an event where you’re assigned to make “dessert.” Everyone loves a good grab-and-go bar, and these are easy-to-make and delicious too.
Here are a few more butter-pecan treats you might enjoy:
- Butter Pecan Granola
- Brown Butter Toffee Pecan Blondies
- Butter Brickle and Pecan Cookies
- Butter Pecan Cupcakes
Chocolate Chunk Butter Pecan Bars
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces Hershey's milk chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the brown sugar, butter, egg yolk and vanilla; blend in the flour and salt. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chunks onto the crust. Let stand until softened (about 5 minutes). Spread evenly over the crust, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Allow to cool completely and cut into bars.