This dessert is gluten free adaptable– please see tips below the recipe…
Chocolate Pecan Tart with Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups pecans
- ¼ cup packed golden brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Blend first 3 ingredients in food processor until nuts are finely ground. Add butter and blend until well-combined. Press nut mixture onto bottom and sides of 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Add chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into crust. Cover and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sugar and cook until deep golden brown, whisking frequently, about 10 minutes. (The mixture will be grainy.)
- Add cream and boil until sauce is reduced to 2½ cups, whisking occasionally (about 10 minutes). Cool slightly.
- When ready to serve, remove tart bottom. Cut tart into wedges and transfer to plates. Spoon warm sauce around tart wedges.
- If you are preparing this dessert as gluten free, just be sure to use brands of chocolate that are known to be GF.
- To save time on the day of entertaining, you may prepare the crust/filling 2 days ahead).
- You may also prepare the sauce 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Before serving, rewarm sauce over medium heat, stirring frequently.