Here’s a delicious recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach.
Back in my teaching days, I used to work at a Jewish elementary school. I worked there for a couple of years so I really got to know the ins and outs of the Jewish culture. Food is a big part of it! I remember that I was not allowed to bring any shellfish for lunch, and I got a loaf of challah to bring home with me every Friday.
Rugelach was one of those goodies that was around quite often. I became quite fond of it.
This version of Rugelach has both raspberry jam and melted chocolate rolled up inside. It’s so good!
Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach
Prep Time: 50 minutes + rising time
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- One 8-ounce jar raspberry jam or preserves
- One 12-ounce package of mini-chocolate chips
- melted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Cut in the cold butter with pastry blender or two knives- until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the egg yolks and sour cream and combine well.
- Form the dough into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day... Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a cookie sheet. Mix walnuts and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Set aside. Remove dough from refrigerator- quarter the dough and form each quarter into a ball.
- On a floured surface, roll one ball of dough into a rectangle. Spread a thin layer of raspberry jam over the dough. Sprinkle 1 quarter of the walnut mixture on top of raspberry jam. Fold in the edges and roll dough to the end; place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Brush top of pastry with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 quarter of the cinnamon/sugar topping mixture. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven; let sit for 10 minutes. Then slice into 1-inch slices on the diagonal.
- Repeat above steps with remaining 3 balls of dough.