Here’s a very easy recipe for Coconut Cream Pie.
I once was not a fan of coconut. It’s true! I’d taste all things coconut and spit them out in disgust. Thankfully, my tastebuds matured and I can now enjoy the deliciousness of coconut like everyone else.
I prefer it toasted. This pie is creamy and wonderful. Thank goodness for coconut!
Coconut Cream Pie
Prep Time: 25 minutes (plus chill time)
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- One 10-inch baked pie crust
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin in the cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the hot milk. Pour the mixture into the top of a double boiler. Stir and cook until the mixture coats the spoon when a spoon is inserted and pulled out. Add the gelatin to the hot mixture, and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the custard into a large bowl and refrigerate until it becomes syrupy and thickened.
- Use an electric mixer in a large bowl to beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites and 1 cup of the whipped cream into the chilled mixture. Pour the cream filling into the baked pie crust and spread to the edges.
- Top the pie with the remainder of the whipped cream (sweeten it if you'd like), and sprinkle coconut on top (see tips below).
- Additional coconut may be added to the cream's filling, if desired.
- You can also toast the coconut if you wish.