Perfect, soft Corn Muffins are great to serve with your favorite chili recipe.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (preferably stone-ground)
- 6 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh, frozen or canned (make sure they are drained and patted dry)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg (if using).
- In another large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, oil, egg and yolk together until well-blended. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together. The batter will be lumpy (that's okay). Stir in the corn. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife or toothpick inserted into center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins.