Here’s a fabulous recipe for a twist on a classic: Cranberry Cornbread
This lightly sweetened cornbread is a fabulous pairing to turkey chili. I like to use whole grain cornmeal to add some texture and crunch to the bread. Sub halved fresh cranberries if you prefer a sour addition.
Turkey chili is a wonderful pairing with this recipe! Here’s a recipe you might like:
Spicy Turkey Chili
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (whole grain or regular)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup dried cranberries, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine cream cheese, oil, sugar and egg. Beat until well combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add to wet mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Don’t over mix. Just mix until combined. Stir in ¾ cup dried cranberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cranberries on top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through (test center with a toothpick inserted and coming out clean).
- Serve warm with butter and honey, if desired. Also good with a scoop of turkey chili.