Here’s a fabulous recipe for a twist on a classic: Cranberry Cornbread
This lightly sweetened cornbread is a fabulous pairing to turkey chili. I like to use whole grain cornmeal to add some texture and crunch to the bread. Sub halved fresh cranberries if you prefer a sour addition.
Turkey chili is a wonderful pairing with this recipe! Here’s a recipe you might like:
Spicy Turkey Chili
This easy recipe makes a delicious twist on the classic, lightly sweetened cornbread.
Servings: 9 servings
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (whole grain or regular)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 cup dried cranberries, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine cream cheese, oil, sugar and egg. Beat until well combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add to wet mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Don’t over mix. Just mix until combined. Stir in ¾ cup dried cranberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining cranberries on top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through (test center with a toothpick inserted and coming out clean).
- Serve warm with butter and honey, if desired. Also good with a scoop of turkey chili.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 330kcal, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 7g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6g, Trans Fat: 0.03g, Cholesterol: 35mg, Sodium: 332mg, Potassium: 171mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 18g, Vitamin A: 218IU, Vitamin C: 0.4mg, Calcium: 119mg, Iron: 2mg
I thought I invented this!! lol — Can’t wait to try your version. Looks yummy.
Love it! We don’t eat cornbread very much in the UK but I’d like to try this.
Beautiful video! Sounds like a wonderful breakfast bread as well.
This is a really great twist to cornbread! I love the use of cream cheese in it too!
I love cornbread to death. And cranberries aren’t half-bad either. So putting them together makes perfect sense to me! Delicious 🙂
Love the addition of cranberries; I substitute them as often as possible in lieu of raisins in dishes not only because I like them better but think they are also much prettier. I’m sure they add a nice taste to the cornbread but I do love the visual punch!
I always knew you were a gal with great taste! The cream cheese & buttermilk in this cranberry cornbread are great additions! So glad we got to spend time together this weekend. xo
That looks and sounds delicious. I never would have thought of combining cornbread and cranberries, but it sounds awesome.
That looks great Lori, and the video was wonderful, kudos!
I love the idea of cranberries in cornbread, Lori! This would be great on many Thanksgiving dinner tables. 🙂
This sounds fabulous! I adore cornbread, and love different variations. I can’t wait to give this one a try 😉
I love the video!! You look fantastic before the camera, very natural! I want this cornbread, I’m sitting here thinking about how good that combination would be!
what a great idea! perfect way to give it a thanksgiving-like twist
Great idea adding cranberries to the cornbread. Also I’m thinking the cream cheese would give both great texture and rich taste. Yum!