I’m so happy to include a recipe for the most delicious cupcakes ever for anyone who might have a dairy allergy: Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
These cupcakes are for my baby boy Brooks’ FOURTEENTH birthday (today!) It’s hard to believe. If you have kids of your own then you totally can relate. You blink twice… maybe three times, and they’re almost ready to get their driver’s license! We celebrated his birthday last weekend with some of his buddies hanging out at our house for the night. I made him a lacrosse themed birthday cake that I shared on Instagram! My kid is completely and totally absorbed in the sport of lacrosse. He loves it, and he is pretty darn good at it too!
My little (6′ 2 1/2″) goofball loves his chocolate!
For Brooks’ actual birthday (today), he has a long lacrosse practice to attend… so I made these cupcakes for his team. One of his good buddies on the team has a dairy allergy. We didn’t want to leave him out… or for him to feel weird about not being included… so I decided to make dairy free cupcakes for the whole team. I really wanted them to taste just like regular chocolate cupcakes. I was most worried about the frosting… I always use butter in my frosting recipes, so I wasn’t quite sure how well a “non butter” frosting would work!
My handsome boy! College in just 4 years… yikes!
I’m so excited to share with you how fabulous these cupcakes turned out. They were so good that I will definitely make them again… even if I don’t need to worry about any dairy allergies. This recipe is actually egg-free too. The cakes are so chocolatey and moist, and the addition of dairy free mini chips was a fabulous idea too. That made them extra chocolatey! (You can find a couple of brands of dairy free chips at Whole Foods and other specialty markets… sometimes regular markets have them in their gluten-free section). I used a frosting recipe from my friend Alisa’s blog: Go Dairy Free. She shared her best dairy free frosting recipe with me: Amazing Mylk Chocolate Frosting. I can’t even describe how good this frosting is. So creamy and delicious. No weird flavors or anything. I will make it again for sure! I hope the team is as happy with these birthday cupcakes as we are- they are delicious 🙂 Happy 14th Birthday to Brooks… RecipeBoy!
Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:18 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil, cooled (can sub vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips (I used the "Enjoy Life" brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with 30 cupcake papers.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl (flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder) and whisk to combine. Add oil, vinegar, vanilla and water to the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until the cupcakes are firm to the touch in the middles. Let cool completely, and frost with your favorite dairy free icing. See the tips below for my icing recommendation!
Here are a few more dairy free cupcake recipes you might enjoy:
- Dairy Free Banana Cupcakes by Healthy Delicious
- Dairy Free Copycat Hostess Cupcakes by All Day I Dream About Food
- Chocolate Marbled Cupcakes (Dairy Free) by Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Dairy Free Coconut Cupcakes by Go Dairy Free