Here’s a simple, quick, impressive appetizer: Easy Greek Appetizer Skewers
Everyone likes appetizers that you can pick up and eat. And when they’re on a toothpick, that’s even better!
I simply used toothpicks to skewer a small piece of red onion, pear tomato, 1/2 slice cucumber and a small square of reduced-fat feta. I figured the reduced-fat version wouldn’t make a bit of difference in this appetizer, and I could be free to eat it myself without feeling like I was consuming too much fat from the hunks of cheese.
These are easy and delicious! Anyone can do this one. They’re such a pretty appetizer too.
Two key things to know in making this easy appetizer:
- Placing the onion on top is important for a few reasons- It’s pretty, it’s nice and firmly on there so the tomato won’t slip off, and when people eat this appetizer they’ll be eating it from the feta end… so if they don’t care for the onion, they’ll simple put the feta, cucumber and tomato in their mouth and leave the onion on the toothpick.
- The cube of feta should go on the bottom. It acts as a nice ‘base’ for the appetizer so it can be placed on the platter as shown. And if you try to skewer the feta all the way through, you may break it apart since it’s a crumbly cheese by nature.
Make all of your skewers ahead of time (several hours ahead is just fine… wrap gently with plastic wrap and refrigerate). Just before serving, drizzle a little bit of red wine vinaigrette over the skewers (red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper).
Next time, I might wish to add a kalamata olive to my skewers to make a complete Greek salad sampler!
Easy Greek Appetizer Skewers
Prep Time:25 minutes
- 1 block feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 30 pear or small cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced & then slice slices in half (need 30)
- 1/4 red onion, cut into small strips (about 1 inch x 1/2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar + 1/2 tablespoon olive oil + salt & pepper
- Thread red onion onto toothpick with purple showing on top, then tomato, then cucumber. Use feta cube as a base for the appetizer- skewer the feta on the bottom; place on your platter.
- Just before serving, whisk together a simple red wine vinaigrette to drizzle over the skewers (try not to get too much dressing on the tops of the toothpicks, where people will pick them up to eat them).
- Prepare skewers several hours ahead, gently wrap and refrigerate. Add dressing right before serving.
- Add kalamata olives for a complete Greek salad taste!