Here’s a great dinner to try on the grill this summer: Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Rice Bowls with Teriyaki Glaze
This recipe showcases the use of your grill, so heat up that grill and get to work! You’ll be grilling chicken cutlets, bell peppers and DOLE canned pineapple. A very simple homemade teriyaki glaze will bring it all together with a generous helping of steamed rice.
It turns out that your grill is a wonderful, big-boy gadget to have around. There is no better way to make chicken than throwing it on the grill- it tastes best that way! When you grill bell peppers, they blacken themselves here and there, and become tender and sweet. And pineapple on the grill is just about the best idea ever. When you use DOLE canned pineapple, your prep time is zero– just pop open the can to find perfectly sliced, sweet pineapple. The heat of the grill hits the sweetness of the pineapple and turns it into a caramelized piece of deliciousness. You don’t even have to do anything to it… just toss DOLE pineapple slices on the grill and let that fire do its magic.
Please make the teriyaki glaze recipe that is included in the recipe below. It will take you all of 10 minutes to make, and you get to utilize all of the yummy juice in your can of pineapple in the glaze. That’s a big bonus about using DOLE canned pineapple- the pineapple is swimming in plenty of 100% pineapple juice! It helps the glaze turn out to be sweet and syrupy– and it’s so much better than an already prepared glaze that you’d buy at the store.
All of your grilled ingredients are chopped and added to bowls of rice. Plenty of that grilled pineapple is added in too (you’ll thank me later… because the grilled pineapple adds a lovely amount of sweetness to the recipe and makes it more of a ROCKSTAR meal). The teriyaki glaze is generously drizzled on top, and these rice bowls are ready to devour!
Check out www.DoleSunshine.com for more recipes using DOLE canned pineapple.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Rice Bowls with Teriyaki Glaze
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water/pineapple juice (reserved pineapple juice from the can + water to make 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 pounds thin chicken cutlets, lightly brushed with oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper
- 1 20-ounce can DOLE pineapple slices (reserve the juice for the glaze above!)
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into large chunks (seeds removed)
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced into large chunks (seeds removed)
- 2 cups brown or white rice, cooked according to package instructions
- chopped chives or green onions
- Prepare the glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine the soy sauce, pineapple juice + water (enough to make 1 cup), brown sugar, ginger and garlic powder. Stir and bring to a simmer. Combine the cornstarch and cold water in a separate bowl. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the simmering soy sauce mixture. Continue to simmer and stir until thickened. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- Grill: Preheat your grill to medium, and spray with grill spray. Grill chicken, pineapple slices and bell peppers until cooked through and tender with grill marks on both sides. Remove from the grill and chop.
- Assemble the rice bowls: Divide the cooked rice between four bowls. Top each with chicken, pineapple and bell peppers. Drizzle with teriyaki glaze, and garnish with chives or green onions. Serve immediately.
Here are a few more grilled pineapple recipes you might enjoy:
- Grilled Pineapple Guacamole by Two Peas and Their Pod
- Chili Rubbed Pork Chops with Grilled Pineapple Salsa by RecipeGirl
- Grilled Pineapple Chicken Foil Packets by Prevention RD
- Grilled Teriyaki Burgers with Pineapple by RecipeGirl
Disclosure: This post has been written in partnership with DOLE to spotlight a recipe with DOLE canned pineapple. This is a product that I know and use in my kitchen. All opinions shared are my own.