These Healthier Fudge Brownies are low fat, low sugar, and whole grain but you would never know! They are rich and chocolatey, and they make the perfect healthy treat!
So here we are at the first of a New Year, and if I had to guess I’d say you’ve probably had your fair share of indulgent treats by now.
Maybe you’re looking for a healthier treat that’s still decadent to bring to that dessert table, or maybe you’re stockpiling recipes to see you through those New Years Resolutions — and these Healthier Fudge Brownies are here for you!
I was a little nervous about how these would turn out, but they turned out so well I just couldn’t believe it. I really couldn’t believe all of the healthy swaps and reductions I’d made, and they were still dense, rich and fudgy.
I swapped the butter for a combination of coconut oil and unsweetened applesauce, I drastically reduced the sugar from my favorite recipe, and I use 100% whole wheat flour. A sprinkling of chocolate chips is all you need to make these the perfect healthy treat for the New Year!
These brownies make just one 8×8-inch pan, but they are so good you may want to indulge a little more! If you’re baking to share, feel free to double the recipe and bake in a 9×13-inch pan. Or store some extras in the freezer for when those chocolate cravings hit!
Healthier Fudge Brownies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and line an 8x8-inch pan with foil or parchment paper. Grease lightly with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla and eggs.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, and sugar until combined completely.
- Spread into the prepared pan, sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out almost clean. The brownies will still be glossy on top in the middle, but look dry at the edges and the toothpick may have some moist crumbs.
- Cool on a wire rack to room temperature before slicing.
- If divided into 12 brownies, each brownie has 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Here are some more brownie recipes for you to enjoy!