This Herbed Lima Bean Hummus appetizer recipe is low fat and healthy!
Herbed Lima Bean Hummus
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a large knife
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (add more if desired)
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- In a 3-quart saucepan, simmer the beans, onion, garlic, salt, and water, covered, until the beans are tender- about 8 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and parsley and let it stand, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain the bean mixture in a sieve and transfer to a food processor. Add the cumin, cayenne, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, 4 tablespoons of oil, dill and mint; purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and add additional lemon juice to taste. Taste again, and add additional cumin or cayenne, if needed.
- Mound the dip in a serving bowl and drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Serve with toasted pita wedges and/or fresh cut vegetables.
- Make ahead tip: Prepare and cover. Dip will keep well in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Taste and add more spice or herbs, as desired.