A lovely shortcake recipe: Lemon Berry Shortcakes
Fresh berries are the best for using in summer desserts. This recipe turns out a delicious shortcake. When paired with fresh berries, it’s fabulous!
Yeah, this is much more than just strawberry shortcake! It’s a beautiful strawberry-raspberry sauce.
Try this easy-to-follow recipe for a summery dessert to enjoy!
Lemon Berry Shortcakes
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 large egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, whipping cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon zest
- 1 large egg white (slightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or granulated white sugar
- 3 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or orange juice
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- snipped fresh mint for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Prepare the shortcakes: Whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside.
- Stir together the egg; half-and-half, and lemon peel in a small mixing bowl. Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead 10 to 12 times or until the dough is nearly smooth. Pat the dough into a 6-inch square. Cut the square into nine 2-inch squares with a floured knife; cut each square diagonally in half.
- Place the triangles on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the tops with a beaten egg white; lightly sprinkle with coarse sugar or granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Remove the shortcake triangles from the baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- Prepare the sauce: Toss together the strawberries, raspberries, the 1/3 cup sugar, Grand Marnier and the 4 teaspoons snipped mint in large mixing bowl. Cover and chill for up to 1 hour.
- For each serving, spoon the berry mixture onto a dessert plate. Place three shortcake triangles on berry mixture. Top with whipped cream and garnish with additional mint, if desired.