These No Bake Mint Chocolate Bars are the perfect holiday treat — they are easy to make and even easier to eat!
Out of all of the traditional Christmas dessert flavor combinations, chocolate and mint is one of my favorites. I just love how the cool mint pairs with the rich chocolate — a combination that’s out of this world delicious!
These are some of our favorite bars to make for the holidays! They are so easy to make, and you can make a big batch to freeze for unexpected guests or to give as teacher, coach or neighbor gifts. I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t appreciate receiving a big tray of these! (I sure wouldn’t mind…)
The base of these bars is a little untraditional because it uses an egg. It’s a recipe I’ve had for a long time and although I tried making the recipe without the egg, and substituting it for other things to bind it, it just didn’t work. The egg binds the base together so well and makes them super fudgy — you really need it! Use pasteurized, fresh eggs and don’t worry about it. The heat of the butter mixture cooks the egg as you’re mixing it in.
And what you’re left with after all of that is something truly decadent and delicious! A rich, chocolate no bake base topped with creamy mint filling and topped with chocolate ganache.
These No Bake Mint Chocolate Bars are sure to be a holiday favorite from now on!
No Bake Mint Chocolate Bars
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- green food coloring
- ⅔ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, cocoa and sugar and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir, and microwave on high another 20-30 seconds if necessary so that all is melted and combined. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Quickly whisk in egg (mixture will thicken as the egg is incorporated). Stir in coconut and graham crumbs until combined.
- Press into an 8x8" pan lined with tin foil.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk and beat until smooth, adding a bit more milk or sugar to reach desired consistency. Add extract and green food coloring (as desired).
- Spread over base in pan.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and butter and melt in 20 second intervals on high, stirring each time, until smooth.
- Pour over filling in pan. Refrigerate until completely set, at least 2-3 hours, before slicing and serving. Store in the refrigerator or freeze for up to a few months.