Here’s a beautiful low-carb, low calorie meal for breakfast or lunch (and we’ve even eaten it for dinner): Onion, Bacon and Spinach Frittata
Apparently winter is over and spring started happening yesterday. I know it’s been crazy snow around the country, but spring is definitely happening where I live- 63 degrees and sunny. I’m not super happy about that since we need a major snowstorm or two if we want to ski into late April. But I’m sort of resigned to the fact that I’ve skied a good number of times this year, and I’m looking forward to my standard summer wear of flip flops and shorts coming up very soon.
I thought this dish today would be a nice, light, spring-ey sort of dish to share. After all, there are only 9 weeks left until Memorial Day weekend- where you might be forced to wear a bathing suit for the first time since winter. It’s time to start thinking about eating light, and this frittata is exactly that.
This recipe is kept light by using a mix of egg and egg whites, turkey bacon (though sometimes I sneak in real bacon), sweet Vidalia onions, a lovely amount of spinach and a light sprinkle of cheese.
And you know what’s actually super cool??? One serving is HALF of the frittata. So… yep, you get a good amount to eat all to yourself.
Or you can cut it into wedges, then eat one wedge and GO BACK FOR SECONDS so it seems like you’re indulging in more than you’re supposed to have when you’re really not. That makes perfect sense, right?
I’m gonna go ski one last time this weekend– in the slush or ice or whatever is left– and then I’ll be crossing my fingers for one last mighty snowstorm to end the season. Then I’ll welcome spring or summer or whatever comes our way next with open arms.
Onion, Bacon and Spinach Frittata
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 2 slices turkey bacon or regular center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 large egg whites, beaten
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sweet Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cook chopped bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- In large bowl, combine bacon, pepper, nutmeg, egg whites and egg. Stir well and set aside.
- Add onion to the skillet; cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add water and sugar. Sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. Add spinach; cover and cook 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts. Gently stir in egg mixture and spread evenly in bottom of skillet. Cook over low heat 5 minutes or until almost set.
- Wrap handle of skillet with foil; place skillet in the oven, and bake for 5 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake one more minute.
- If you are preparing this dish as GLUTEN- FREE, just be sure to use a brand of bacon that is known to be GF.
- Nutritional Information per serving: (Serving size: 1/2 of the frittata) Calories: 212, Fat: 7.8g, Saturated Fat: 3.3g, Sugar: .9g, Fiber: 3.6g, Protein: 21.7g, Cholesterol: 115.7mg, Carbohydrates: 13.8g
- WW POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 2, SmartPoints: 4, Points Plus Program: 5, Old Points Program: 4
Here are a few more frittata recipes you may enjoy!