One of my favorite things to serve for a special breakfast: Overnight Caramel French Toast
With Mother’s Day looming ahead (hey, it’s tomorrow!), you might be thinking that you’d like to make Mom… or Wife… or Girlfriend… or some Mom out there a special breakfast. Or maybe you’d just like to make it for yourself! Well, this is the special breakfast you should be making.
The best part is that you can make it tonight, and it’ll be all ready to bake in the morning. That’s the beauty of an “overnight” recipe!
You’ll wake up in the morning and realize that you get to have a relaxing Sunday… AND you also get to have a slightly fancy breakfast without lifting much of a finger.
The lovely thing about this recipe is that– when baked– some ooey gooey juices appear and become the “caramel” part of this French toast recipe. It’s a treat. It’s perfect. Enjoy!
Thank you to Tanya from the LemonsForLulu.com blog for shooting these beautiful photos of this Overnight Caramel French Toast for me. I think Tanya certainly captured how delicious it is. She mentioned that her family ate it for dinner, and the whole family loved it!
Overnight Caramel French Toast
Prep Time: 20 minutes + overnight in fridge
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- Ten 1-ounce slices soft French bread
- 2 1/2 cups 1% lowfat milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly. Pour mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer over the syrup in the dish.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over bread.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Here are a few more overnight French toast recipes you might enjoy:
- Overnight Berry Cobbler French Toast by Wine and Glue
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast by RecipeGirl
- Overnight Cinnamon Apple Baked French Toast Casserole by Life, Love and Sugar