Spread the love and joy this holiday season with a plate full of these super simple Peppermint Oreo Truffles.
This is the time of year to share cheer with lots of yummy homemade treats, including caramels, sugar cookies, and these Peppermint Oreo Truffles. They are divine! I can hardly control myself and eat just one.
The saddest holiday memory was when I was in the first trimester of pregnancy during the holiday season. I was nauseous, and just the thought of something sweet made sick. But that made me so sad! I wanted to want the usual yummy holiday treats but I just couldn’t.
I am definitely a chocoholic. Can’t go a day without it. What kind of day would that be?! I eat chocolate in celebration of something good, at the end of lunch, when life is just good, or when I’m sad. So really, any time and all the time. It brings a smile to my face and a good feeling inside, and then hungry… for more chocolate.
Truffles are the perfect chocolate treat to satisfy a chocolate craving. They’re rich, beautiful, soft, creamy, and just melt away in your mouth.
These Peppermint Oreo Truffles are not a true chocolate truffle but more of a cross between a truffle and a cake ball. They’re really simple to make and requires so few ingredients. All it takes are some Oreos (the entire cookie) and cream cheese. Mix them up in a food processor together and then roll into balls to then dip in melted chocolate. So stinking simple and highly raved about.
If you’re already planning to make plates of cookies for your friends and neighbors, add these for extra deliciousness and beauty!
And if you happen to not enjoy chocolate, you can try this recipe with golden oreos and white chocolate for dipping. Or just make both. No one will be upset about getting more Christmas goodies.
All it takes to turn plain chocolate Oreo Truffles into peppermint is to add peppermint extract to the Oreos and cream cheese before rolling. Then to looks, and a little bit of church, the top of the truffles are sprinkled with crushed candy cane, or as my two year old calls it, “candy candy”.
For some reason when peppermint extract is added to something with chocolate it creates a fresh taste that makes you want it even more. And I am definitely okay with that. These Peppermint Oreo Truffles do not disappoint. Enjoy!
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 36 regular Oreos
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 16 ounces dark melting wafers or almond bark
- 2 tablespoon crushed candy cane
- Place whole Oreos in a food processor or blender and puree until finely crushed. Add the cream cheese and extract. Puree until well combined.
- Scoop the mixture out into 1 inch balls (about 2 teaspoons), roll into a ball and place on a wax paper lined pan. Place the balls in the fridge for 2 hours or freezer for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate according to directions. Take half the balls out of the fridge at a time(so the others stay firm and easy to dip). Dip each ball into the chocolate using a toothpick or fork. Let the excess chocolate drip back in the bowl. Place on a wax paper lined baking sheet and immediately sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top. Repeat with remaining Oreo balls. Remelt the chocolate as needed.
- Store in the fridge.
Here are a few more recipes for truffles that you might enjoy:
- Red Velvet Truffles by The Novice Chef
- Red Wine Truffles by Recipe Girl
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles by Spoonful of Flavor
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles by Recipe Girl
I found pappermint Oreos today so thought I would substitute a few of those for my regular ones, plus the peppermint extract. I have made these before and the toothpick was cumbersome. I like a slotted spoon recommendation. Thought I’d put Oreo and regular peppermints on top, both having been through the food processor.
I just LOVE peppermint candy, and these look phenomenal and so delicious. Can’t wait to try it 🙂
My kids love Oreo cookies so much,and they would love these Oreo Truffles Thanks for sharing