Such a perfect fall pie recipe: Praline Apple Pie
This is a double crust apple pie with a rich and decadent gooey praline topping drizzled on top.
Praline Apple Pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- One 15-ounce package refrigerated pie crusts (or your own recipe)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups peeled, sliced Rome or other cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut up
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Press the piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Prepare pie: In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir in the apples; spoon the mixture into the crust. Dot with 2 Tablespoons of butter; sprinkle evenly with lemon juice. Top with the remaining piecrust; fold the edges under, and crimp. Cut several slits in the top. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 45 minutes on the lower oven rack, shielding with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
- Prepare topping: Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan; stir in the brown sugar and whipping cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in the pecans, and let stand 5 minutes. Slowly drizzle the mixture over the cooled pie.