Here’s a pumpkin pie recipe that’s a little bit different: Pumpkin Peanut Butter Pie
The peanut butter in the pie does not overwhelm (there is only 1/2 cup). I’d say it merely just helps create a beautiful texture for the pie. The PB makes it unique for sure– because who puts peanut butter in pie?!
There’s a good amount of booze in the pie (whiskey!), so if you’re not into booze… I’d add in a tablespoon of vanilla instead and call it a day. Or reducing the whiskey to 2 tablespoons would be fine too.
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Pie
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 tablespoons well-chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons ice water (about)
- One 16 ounce can unsweetened, pure pumpkin
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1¼ cups half and half cream
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons whipping cream, (beaten with the egg yolk to form glaze)
- Mix flour and salt in a food processor. Cut in butter and shortening using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. With machine running, blend in water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough just starts to come together (do not form ball).
- Turn dough out into lightly floured surface. Gather together. Cut off ¼ of dough. Form each piece into a ball; flatten into discs. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead.)
- Roll large dough piece out on lightly floured surface into ⅛ inch-thick round. Transfer dough to 10 inch glass pie pan, leaving ½ inch overhang. Crimp edges, forming ½ inch high decorative border. Cover; chill 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- Roll out small dough piece between 1/16 and ⅛ inch-thick on lightly floured surface. Cut out leaves using leaf shaped cookie cutters. Transfer leaves to baking sheet using metal spatula. Refrigerate 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- Position rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 425°F.
- Mix first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Blend in eggs 1 at a time. Stir in half and half, whiskey, vanilla, nutmeg and salt. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.)
- Pour filling into prepared shell. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F. Continue baking until filling is set and uniformly puffed, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack.
- Brush glaze over pastry leaves. Bake until puffed and tops are golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer leaves to rack. Cool pie and pastry leaves completely. (Pie will fall in center as it cools.) (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead.) Arrange pastry leaves atop pie before serving.
- Brush glaze over pastry leaves. Bake until puffed and tops are golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer leaves to rack.
- Cool pie and pastry leaves completely. (Pie will fall in center as it cools.) (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead.) Arrange pastry leaves atop pie before serving.