This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Greek Dinner Party- The Desserts!
Spiced Fresh Orange and Honey Sorbet
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup clover honey
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 whole pods star anise or cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 small bay leaf, preferably fresh
- 2 cups chilled fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Combine the first 8 ingredients in a heavy large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil until the syrup is thick and the mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 12 minutes. Discard the bay leaf; let the syrup cool.
- Strain the syrup through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Add the orange juice and lemon juice. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer the sorbet to a container, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours and up to 3 days.
- I use Trader Joe's fresh orange juice and it works just fine.
- The sorbet will process better if the mixture is quite chilled before putting into your ice cream maker.