Here’s a hearty soup recipe made with ground turkey, added vegetables, tomato, beans and spices: Turkey Vegetable Soup
I like this soup because it’s pretty hearty with all of the veggies packed into it. The ground turkey adds the protein element to the soup. And kidney beans add to the bulk of it too.
Chili powder and cumin give the soup nice flavor.
If you are following the Weight Watchers plan, this soup counts as ZERO Freestyle SmartPoints and then you can count the cheese as extra points if you decide to sprinkle it on top. I suggest you go for it and add the cheese on top!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Turkey Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
- 6 cups fat free beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced carrot (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup trimmed fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 whole bay leaves
- One 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 6 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add celery, onion, garlic and turkey. Cook 5 minutes or until ground turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Add the chicken/beef broth and remaining ingredients (except cheese); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Ladle 2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon of cheese (if desired)
- Reduce sodium by using lower sodium beef stock.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of tomato, beans and broth that are known to be GF.
- Nutritional Information per serving: (Serving size: 2 cups soup- with 1 tablespoon of cheese) Calories: 265, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sugar: 7g, Sodium: 1789mg, Fiber: 7.5g, Protein: 27g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Carbohydrates per serving: 29g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 0 (omit the cheese), Points Plus Program: 6, Old Points Program: 5
Here are a few more turkey soup recipes you might enjoy:
- Turkey and Stuffing Dumpling Soup by Katie’s Cucina
- Next Day Turkey Soup by RecipeGirl
- Creamy Mexican Turkey Soup by RecipeGirl
- Turkey Soup with Zucchini Noodles by Rachel Cooks