This Wedding Cupcake Buttercream recipe has been featured in an extensive how-to post on The Recipe Girl blog: How to Make Wedding Cupcakes.
Scroll to the bottom of this post to watch a quick video showing you how to make this buttercream, and then showing you how to frost the cupcakes.
The recipe was first featured here on RecipeGirl many years ago when I baked cupcakes for my son’s kindergarten teacher’s wedding. She wanted cupcakes and had heard that I might be able to do them for her.
I ended up taking on the project, and it was so much fun. My kitchen was covered in cupcakes. They were a huge hit at her wedding, and everyone specifically noted how much they loved the frosting. This is the frosting recipe! It’s so delicious, and it’s now a big-time favorite.
If you have questions about this icing and wedding cupcakes… it may be helpful to read through the comments/questions/answers below the recipe- many of your questions may be answered there! Also visit this post: How to Make Wedding Cupcakes for all of the details on when to make the cupcakes and how to store and transport them to the wedding.
This Wedding Cupcake Buttercream is my go-to recipe for icing basic cupcakes and wedding cake. It’s so easy to make, and it works through a piping bag well. The recipe will frost 12 cupcakes with a generous swirl. Double, triple, quadruple the recipe to frost more cupcakes!
Note that this recipe also works wonderfully for layer cakes. It spreads on smoothly, and you can pipe on decorations too. I use it for everything. It has been my go-to frosting recipe for so many years!
A simple swirl on cupcakes creates a beautiful dessert for weddings with little candy pearls sprinkled on top.
This Wedding Cupcake Buttercream is a very popular buttercream recipe- made by thousands who sing this recipe’s praises. I have used this very recipe for all of my cupcakes for so many years now. It’s a keeper recipe!
So many people over the years have emailed me to let me know that this is now their go-to frosting recipe too. It turns out perfect every time.
Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make this Wedding Cupcake Buttercream and how to frost the cupcakes! Then scroll to the bottom and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
Yield: Frosting for 12 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wedding Cupcake Buttercream
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream (heavy or regular)
- In a large bowl, with a hand or stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for desired spreading/piping consistency.
- Scoop into a piping bag and pipe decoratively onto cupcakes, or spread onto cupcakes as desired.
- This recipe doubles or triples well.
- There is no need to sift the powdered sugar, unless you're worried that your sugar is quite lumpy.
- Do not try to replace the butter with margarine or shortening- it won't work out well.
- Add in color, if desired. I like to use colored gel paste instead of liquid food coloring- then you're not messing with adding additional liquid to the perfect consistency of the frosting. Gel paste is sold at craft stores and baking supply shops.
- For the cupcakes in the photograph above, I used a 1G Tip by Bakery Crafts to pipe the frosting. The Wilton 1M tip works perfectly for these too.
Here are a few more frosting recipes you might enjoy:
- Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting by Recipe Girl
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream by Beyond Frosting
- Cookies and Cream Frosting by Recipe Girl
- Red Velvet Buttercream Frosting by Wine and Glue
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting by Recipe Girl