This Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting recipe is the best frosting recipe for cakes and cupcakes. It’s such a creamy frosting recipe full of peanut butter flavor.
There are so many good frosting recipes, and the vanilla and chocolate flavors usually get the spotlight for being the best. This Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting should be included in the “best” category too. It really is a unique flavor for frosting, and it’s totally delicious.
Does peanut butter frosting need to be refrigerated?
It is not necessary to refrigerate this peanut butter frosting. The small amount of milk in the recipe (1/4 cup) is stabilized by the large amount of sugar and considered safe at room temperature for two to three days.
Always refrigerate any cake with a frosting that contains eggs or egg whites. Also be sure to refrigerate any kind of frosting that is whipped-cream based or cream cheese frosting.
Can you freeze homemade peanut butter frosting?
This recipe will make enough to frost a 2-layer cake or 24 cupcakes. If you happen to have any frosting left over, you can freeze it in a tightly covered container for up to one month. Just let the frosting defrost in the refrigerator overnight to re-use.
How to frost a cake:
Make sure your cake layers are completely cool before trying to frost them. Place your first cake layer on your serving platter and slide pieces of parchment or wax paper underneath the edges.
Spread the first layer of frosting on top of the first layer of the cake. Place the second layer of cake on top. Place a big dollop of frosting on top of the cake and spread to the sides. Spread the frosting down the sides of the cake and make sure it’s covered all around. Pull out the pieces of wax paper and discard.
The cake shown here was turned into a Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Cake. Two layers of chocolate cake with peanut butter cup cheesecake in the middle. The whole cake is covered in peanut butter frosting. And this creamy peanut butter frosting is the perfect frosting for this cake!
Here are a few more cake recipes that would be so good frosted with this peanut butter frosting:
Save your vanilla and chocolate frosting recipes, and try using this peanut butter frosting on your next cake or batch of cupcakes. You’ll be so glad you did!
Here are a few more recipes for peanut butter lovers:
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Fluffy Peanut Butter Pancakes
- Killer Peanut Butter Cake
- Peanut Butter Caramel Corn
- Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Pie
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pound Cake
Creamy Peanut Butter Frosting
Perfect peanut butter frosting recipe!
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (do not use natural)
- 1/4 cup milk (or a little more, as needed)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and peanut butter. Beat until smooth and well-combined. Mix in 1/4 cup milk, then add in the sugar a little at a time until it is all mixed in. Sprinkle in a little more milk, if needed, and continue to beat until the frosting is a good spreading consistency. It should be creamy and delicious!
You can use this recipe to frost either a two-layer cake or 24 cupcakes.