A very popular breakfast recipe: Farmer’s Casserole
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers (or shredded Cheddar cheese)
- 2 cups diced cooked ham or Canadian bacon
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 8 large beaten eggs (or 2 cups egg substitute)
- Two 12-ounce cans (3 cups total) evaporated milk or evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham, and green onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.
- At this point, you can cover and refrigerate until ready to bake (several hours or overnight). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. If baking after casserole has been chilled, you will need to increase baking time to 55 to 60 minutes.
- Add tabasco for a bit of a kick.
- Serve with a good dollop of sour cream.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via Southern Living Forum "Squeaker")