Red, White and Blue Finger Jello

This recipe has been featured in a how-to post on The Recipe Girl blog: Red, White & Blue Finger Jello.

Red White and Blue Finger Jello

Yield: About 40 pieces

Prep Time: 30 min + chilling time

Red, White and Blue Finger Jello

Kids seem to love these little hand-held treats, and I have to admit... I think they're good too!

Ingredients:

2 (3 ounce) boxes red jello gelatin
2 (3 ounce) boxes blue jello gelatin
4 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
boiling water & cold water

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, mix one box of red jello with 1/2 envelope of unflavored gelatin. Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir to dissolve. Cool to room temperature and pour into a 9x13-inch glass pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Refrigerate for 15 minutes (make sure that your refrigerator is level, or your jello will come out uneven-looking).

2. While first layer is setting, prepare white layer. In another bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk with 1 cup of boiling water. In a separate small bowl, sprinkle 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup of cold water. Let stand a few minutes and then add 1/2 cup of boiling water to dissolve the gelatin. Add to the milk mixture and stir to combine. Cool to room temperature. Pour 1 cup of this milk mixture over the first layer of red jello. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

3. While white layer is setting, prepare blue layer. In a medium bowl, mix one box of blue jello with 1/2 envelope of unflavored gelatin. Add 1 cup of boiling water and stir to dissolve. Cool to room temperature and pour on top of white layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

4. Repeat with red layer (using 2nd box of jello + 1/2 envelope gelatin + 1 cup boiling water), another cup of of the white layer and then finishing with a blue layer (2nd box of blue jello + 1/2 envelope gelatin + 1 cup boiling water) on top- remember to cool to room temperature before adding each layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes after adding each layer.

5. Let jello set before cutting. Use a sharp knife to cut, and then use a metal spatula to slide underneath the jello and scoop out jello squares.

Tips:

*For a festive 4th of July look, use a star cookie cutter to cut out a star-shape for the center of your platter. Place some jello squares red-side-up and some blue-side-up.
*For testing purposes, I used Strawberry & Berry-Blue flavored Jell-O. Sometimes you can find Pina Colada flavored jello (which is white), and you could opt to use that as your white layer. The milk layer though is yummy & the kids seem to like it mixed with the jello layers.

Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from The Food Librarian)

17 Responses to “Red, White and Blue Finger Jello”

1. postedJun 30, 2011 3:49 PM

I’m confused. Your ingredients list 1package each of blue and red jello, but your directions say to do red, then white, then blue, then white, then red etc. Do I need two packages of each color, or should I divide the liquid amounts?
    Thanks!

• June 30th, 2011 @ 10:15 PM

Yep, you’re totally right. I just re-edited this recipe w/ the re-design & it appears I only wrote down one box of jello each. You need two… recipe has been edited again to correct this mistake. Thanks so much for pointing it out, and so sorry for the inconvenience.

2. postedJul 2, 2011 6:15 AM
    Sandee

I am unable to see the re-edited recipe so I am wondering do you double the entire recipe or just double the red & blue jello? Thanks for such a fun & festive recipe!

3. postedJun 18, 2012 3:54 PM
    kathy

how much milk do you put in each layer. i feel you have left over milk.

• June 18th, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Just follow the directions. You will not have extra milk.

4. postedJun 19, 2012 9:33 AM
    kathy

when making the milk layer i feel you have 3 cups of liquid. If you pour 1 cup over the red jello then 1 cup over the second red jello you will be using only 2 cups of milk. Is that right/

5. postedJul 2, 2012 5:43 PM
    Chelsea

I made these for tomorrow and am wondering if it is ok to cut them into squares and stack them up tonight. Will they hold form or meld together?

• July 2nd, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

I don’t think I would stack them- single layer is best.

6. postedJul 4, 2012 1:15 PM
    Juliet

Quick question if i use an aluminum pan as opposed to pyrex will it make a significant difference?

• July 5th, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I would think it might be more difficult to get out of the pan, but I haven’t tried it so I can’t tell for sure.

7. postedMay 24, 2014 10:51 AM
    christy

What size is the unflavored gelatin?

• May 28th, 2014 @ 9:42 PM

It only comes in one size- just an envelope.

8. postedJun 27, 2014 11:54 PM

I Love These! So fun for the 4th of July celebrations!

9. postedJul 3, 2014 2:02 PM
    Heather

My sweetened condensed milk mixture is more of a cream color. Will it turn white?? How did you get yours so white? Also one more question, if after 15 min, the layers aren’t set very firm, should I wait till they are completely set and firm before I add the next layer? Thanks for your help.

• July 4th, 2014 @ 5:02 AM

It should! Maybe depends on the brand of sw. cond. milk you used. Yes, the layers should be firm before you add the next layer.

10. postedJul 2, 2015 7:13 AM
    Joy

For people wondering about the unflavored gelatin, the two brands I saw at the store (Knox and Kroger brand) both came in a box than contained 1 oz. total weight, so four envelopes of 1/4 oz. each. Looking forward to trying this recipe tomorrow with my kids!