Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Black Bean- Turkey Sausage Chili
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
2 pounds ground turkey
6 cloves garlic, minced
One 8 ounce can diced green chiles, squeezed dry
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
One 12-ounce can tomato paste
One 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
One 16-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, with juice
One 12-ounce bottle good beer
One 32-ounce can black beans, rinsed and well drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over low heat. Sauté onions and pepper for 10 minutes, or until tender but not browned.
2. Turn up heat to medium and add sausage and turkey. Cook until browned. Drain excess fat from pan.
3. Add garlic, chilies, pepper, salt, chili powder, oregano, basil and tomato paste. Stir in tomatoes, beer and beans.
4. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
5. Stir in cilantro before serving.
*This recipe may be prepared ahead and re-heated.