Good recipe to warm you up: Black Bean Turkey Sausage Chili
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Black Bean Turkey Sausage Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- One 8 ounce can diced green chiles, squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- One 12-ounce can tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- One 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- One 12-ounce bottle good beer
- One 32-ounce can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese and sour cream for topping, optional
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Sauté the onions and pepper for 10 minutes, or until tender but not browned.
- Turn up heat to medium and add the sausage and turkey. Cook until browned. Drain the excess fat from the pan.
- Add the garlic, chiles, pepper, salt, chili powder, oregano, basil and tomato paste. Stir in the tomatoes, beer and beans.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Top individual servings with cilantro and optional toppings, as desired.
*This recipe may be prepared ahead and re-heated.