You can make this Fiery Chicken Chili as spicy (or not) as you want.
Here are a few more chicken chili recipes you might enjoy:
- BBQ Chicken Chili
- Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili
- Acorn Squash and Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
Fiery Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, sauce reserved
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes (with their juices)
- Three 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- chopped avocados, cilantro, grated cheddar, chopped scallions and sour cream, for serving
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and the spices are fragrant, about 7 minutes. Stir in the chipotle and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the meat begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat and simmer the chili briskly, stirring often, until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add more adobo sauce to taste. Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, cheese, scallions and sour cream.