Acorn Squash and Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 medium (2-pound) acorn squash, halved lengthwise, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole (about 1½ pounds) skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 cup light beer
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- One 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 3 medium limes, 2 juiced (about 3 tablespoons), plus 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for serving
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven (or othe large pot) over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic, five-spice powder and chili powder and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the squash pieces, chicken pieces, tomatoes, beer, cocoa powder and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pinto beans and lime juice and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Let the stew cool slightly, then ladle into bowls and top each serving with some cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, substitute GF chicken broth for the beer, and make sure the brand of pinto beans you are using is known to be GF.
- If you are preparing this recipe as DAIRY-FREE, leave off the sour cream/yogurt.