This Black Bean Turkey Sausage Chili is a good recipe to warm you up.
Black Bean Turkey Sausage Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage
- One 12-ounce can tomato paste
- One 8-ounce can diced green chiles, squeezed dry
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two 16-ounce can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- One 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- One 12-ounce bottle good beer
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese and sour cream, for topping (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Sauté the onions and pepper for 10 minutes, or until tender but not browned.
- Turn up heat to medium and add the turkey and sausage. Cook until browned. Drain the excess fat from the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, chiles, garlic, chili powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and beer.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Top individual servings with cilantro and optional toppings, as desired.
- This recipe may be prepared ahead and re-heated.