An old family favorite: Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
A sweet, lemony glaze gives this cake extra zing!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Blueberry Lemon Loaf Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add the dry mixture alternately with milk, ending with dry ingredients. Stir in lemon peel and berries, and nuts, if desired.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until bread tests done. While cake is baking, prepare syrup. Combine lemon juice and sugar in saucepan and cook 2 to 3 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Poke holes in bread with skewer. Turn out bread onto wire rack. Drizzle syrup over top of bread and let soak in and dry before slicing.